Saxophone Forum

by Jim Keith
(20 posts)
19 years ago

STARTING A BAND

Im starting a jazz band outside of my school and i was wondering does anyone have any suggestions on names? or a playlist?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: STARTING A BAND

I can give you a few suggestions, but I really don't know what you're working with as far as musicians. The jazz/swing band I play with has 10 members; drums, bass guitar, keyboard, guitar, 3 saxophones; one who also plays flute, a valve trombone, 2 trumpets; one of whom also plays Baritone horn. It's a pretty good mix. They're all experienced musicians. The guitar player sings and has all the Brian Setzer riffs down perfectly! He's in his mid 40's. The bass player is about my age, the drummer is in his 50's, and the horn players range in age from 27-71! There's a lot of diversity, which is great! All the members are great showmen

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Jim Keith
      (20 posts)

19 years ago

well we have me (only sax) a bass piano (still seeking drums my only prob) one bone and one trumpet. still want more but right now its only us. they are intermediate but improving rapidly. I am advanced playing only the slowest type of bebop but advancing to mid to fast everyday.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by peter090
    (155 posts)

19 years ago

Think about why you want to have a band. Find people with the same goals. As far as a playlist, play what you like and don't be afraid to write. I think you'll find that the group takes on a whole new attitude when you play your own music. To start pick a tune you like and try to write a tune like it. Same feel and form. This will help you get over the difficulties starting.

Reply To Post

1. by phathorn
      (165 posts)

19 years ago

sounds like you are already off to a good musical line up. there are actually advantages and a bit of creative freedom offered by a smaller ensemble that a big band set up might not have...good luck finding a drummer who can play time!

Reply To Post