Saxophone Forum

by bmcguire
(45 posts)
19 years ago

Balanced Action, To Super or Not To Super

I love every SuperBalanced Action Alto I have ever played. But I don't want to buy one because the SBA's are pretty pricey. I allready have a MKVI and 2 Super Action Series II's so I'm a little heavy on altos and don't need another $3000 horn. The Balanced Actions seem to be pretty resonable and at least look similar to the SBA's. Can anybody offer any feedback on the differences and personal preferences between these horns.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Balanced Action, To Super or Not To Super

The biggest difference is the BA horns have the upper and lower stack toneholes inline - except for perhaps a few BA/SBA transition models. An offset lower stack lends a little better ergonomics. Like all vintage, there are diamonds and lemons, so you never know until you try a specific horn in most cases whether it's for you or not. I've been trying to get my hands on a local guy's BA alto with the "boats on the lake" engraving. Perhaps the most beautiful engraving I've ever seen. He's fickle about selling it, though, so it'll probably end up in a family garage sale someday.

Reply To Post