Saxophone Forum

by heysammy
(3 posts)
19 years ago

Conn C melody repadding

I purchased a C Melody Conn M145xxx L (pitch) dated 1924-25, two tone silver with a gold interior bell, in apparently excellent conditions, but requiring pads. My primary sax is a Yamaha Cusom tenor. Can I purchase a complete set from someone out there? Is there some selection of choices? How much? I am missing the mouthpiece? Does someone have one or can you recommend a replacement I have never repaired saxophones, but am quite mechanically adept. Should I be able to replace the pads myself? Any special considerations or tools required? Should I replace springs at the same time? Any special cleaning solvent or lubrication suggested when putting the threaded rods back? Regards,

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Conn C melody repadding

You should be able to order the pads on ebay Sammy. I bought some pads for a Conn C Melody I overhauled through Ebay for like $65 Buy It Now, and they were hi quality resonator pads too. I wouldn't replace the springs unless they were broken or worn thin to where they're about to break. Usually the springs last a long time. Get a good quality brand of screw drivers, because I have twisted many tips trying to take out those stubborn rods and screws! I would recommend spraying some WD 40 on the screw posts and letting it work a couple days before even attempting to remove them.. Servicing the pads can be tricky depending on your skill level. You want the pads to seat flat in the key cup without any wrinkles, and you want to use the proper adhesive. Just make sure you have cleaned the key cups to remove any oil and the WD 40 before installing the pads. As for tools, I recommend a pair of small needle nose pliers, a leak-light to drop down the bore, and a spring tool. I made mine from an old tire patching tool, but you can buy them through www.wwbw.com. They're like a screwdriver with a hook on the end.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by jqureshi
    (1 post)

19 years ago

Give it to a professional. I recommend Best Instrument repair in Oakland. Ask for Sally Donnely or Greg Smithson. They are both top flite repairpeople. I can say with great confidence both of these people will do it correctly. The whole staff there is top notch. I used to be one for a time.

Reply To Post

3. by Candyboy
    (77 posts)

19 years ago

Your old conn would be a Chu Berry from the serial number. My main horn is a Conn 86xxx New Wonder C-mel that I repadded myself with white roo pads and white shelac and modified. I lubricate all my rods with Mobile 1 transmission fluid. I play in a Blues based band with a guitar and bass and drums. I use a Berg Larsen tenor mouthpiece (110-1-M) and I have a gig tonight. Later
    Doug Coffman

Reply To Post AIM