Saxophone Forum

by PIP
(29 posts)
19 years ago

"Pick up the pieces" solo

I am a sophomore in high school who mainly plays legit music. My band director asked a tenor player and me if we would play pick up the pieces for our end of the year banquet. I have the music but there is a sixteen bar solo in it and I have never improved in my life. I am having an extremely rough time trying to figure it out is there anyone out there who might tell me where I can find an alto sax solo to fill those sixteen bars?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: "Pick up the pieces" solo

That's a GREAT solo! One of my favorites. I play it on Tenor, and that's one of those songs that I love to play. Get a copy of the song and listen to it over and over until you've got the feel. That's the only way you're going to get it down. It doesn't have to be exactly like the record though. Stay close to the original solo and keep the same feel, but make it your own. The key to playing good improv is knowing your scales. I do a SMOKIN' tenor lead on this song! I start this solo like the original and then I do a funky stop-time thing with just me bass and drums. It sounds like a lot, but all I'm doing basically is playing one long blues scale, starting with low E and ending on altissimo G which I hold out till the start singing "pick up the pieces....uh huh..." I wish I had it on CD. I'd make a link of it for you.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by phathorn
      (165 posts)

19 years ago

That is usually the opening tune for our band. After the 486th time playing it, I let our trumpet player have the solo....we're about to switch to "skunk funk" as our new opener...should make the audience scratch their heads a bit.....:)

Reply To Post

2. by SaxMan88
      (318 posts)

19 years ago

I'm listening to the original right now...by Average White Band...wow...I only heard of the version Kenny G and David Sanborn did...and I thought that was good. I'm now looking up sheet music for this song. I DEFINITIELY WANT MY DIRECTOR TO DO THIS NEXT YEAR!!!

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Kenny G and Sanborn's version is EXCELLENT!!! I just heard it for the first time today. I actually bought his CD Duets and I must say, I REALLY LIKE IT! This is what I've been wanting to hear from Kenny G. He kicks ass on a few songs on here actually! Check it out. I think you'll like it.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

OMG...wait Jim, now hold on...let's make sure you're all right...YOU bought a KENNY G CD? Wow...this world must be coming to an end! *laughs* Which few other songs would you be talking about? I have the CD and would just like to know your opinion.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I especially like Pick Up The Pieces and At Last, but the whole CD is pretty good. I thought Kenny and Brian McKnight did an AWESOME job on Careless Whisper too. I LOVE THAT SONG!!! Reminds me of Jr. High school dances and making out with 12 year old girls on the gymnasium floor!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

Jim, I don't know what happened...but on my CD they screwed up the order of the songs...like they said the one he did with Brian McKnight on mine was "Careless Whisper" but it was really "Baby Come to Me" and "At Last" is supposed to be "Careless Whisper" and "Baby Come to Me" is supposed to be "At Last"...did ya pick up on that? I did...it seems they screwed up one of his other CD's. His classics album had the soprano part for "Girl from Ipanema" at the end of the last song...weird. I'd have killed the mixing engineer whoever did that.

Reply To Post

4. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

All the songs on my CD are in the right order. Baby Come To Me is with Daryl Hall. Did you order yours through a CD club like BMG? I've ordered CD's and tapes from them before and had them be messed up. That could be why. I bought mine at Circuit City.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

5. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

The artists are matched up right, but it's just that it says Track#4 is "At Last" when it's supposed to be "Careless Whisper"...and Track#7 is supposed to be "Baby Come to Me" when it says "Careless Whisper"...that's what I mean. The actual songs are screwed up...huh..mine musta been a dud.

Reply To Post

6. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

Just listened to Candi Dulfer's version of Pick Up the Pieces. Pretty cool; but I still like the other three versions I've listened to better.

Reply To Post

7. by EL Seano
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

EURGH! KENNY G! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This shouldn't be in jazz saxophone section (agh Kenny fans don't bite my head off)

Reply To Post

8. by CajunSax
          (76 posts)

19 years ago

i have it transposed for tenor (2 parts) and have it ( and all of my 'scribbly scratch notes') on my computer. I'd be more than happy to email anyone who is interest, no charge like some of those guys on craigslist. As for the solo part - i dont have that transposed as I've heard AWB enough times that I can wing almost exactly like their version...even the altissimo section. It's not a really hard solo technically, but if you've got some soul to put in it, then it really gets the panties flying on the stage... :) And Saxman88, to hear you say "I've only heard the Kenny G version" of Pieces is very very very extremely sad. Even his gay buddy Dave Coz has a better Careless Whisper than Gore-hiney-lick. Check out the AWB 'Live at Montreaux' version, those cats solo for like an extra 3 and a half minutes...pretty bitchin. For any of the guys that are new to improv...I suggest playing the first bar or 2 as close as you can to the original recording, then start to manipulate from there. The trick is to have a plan....but be ready to go off on a tangent at any time. Again, let me know if anybody want the sheet music i wrote up for Pieces...I have a bunch more too so just ask, I might have the leg work done for you already.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

9. by gsmeele
          (2 posts)

17 years ago

Hello, I am interested in the sheet music Pick up the Pieces for tenorsaxofoon. Please send me a copy. Thanks. Regards, Gerard [email protected]

Reply To Post

10. by adamkay70
          (1 post)

17 years ago

please send me the music i would greatly appreciate it adam [email protected]

Reply To Post

11. by sultanofsax
          (31 posts)

17 years ago

hEY I WOULD LIKE TO GET PICK UP THE PIECES FROM YA. E-MAIL IT TO ME THRU MY WEBSITE, WWW.KILLERBS.TK , AND CHECK THE SITE OUT TOO. I AM JUST TO LAZY TO TRANSCRIBE THANKS.

Reply To Post

12. by naturalbornsaxplayer
          (1 post)

17 years ago

Hallo CaliKin I just read your Re on Saxquest from 5/1/2005 about Pick up the Pieces two years ago. I am a ts player in Berlin / Germany and I would like to ask you if you can send me your transcription of the sax solo from Pick up the Pieces. I'm also interestet in other sax solo transcriptions. My email: [email protected] Thank you very much Klaus Jürgen Weber

Reply To Post

13. by roly
          (1 post)

17 years ago

Hi CalKijn can you send me PUpieces sheet music please. Thanx

Reply To Post

14. by cammes
          (16 posts)

17 years ago

yeh I'm interested in that sheet music to could you send it to [email protected] Thanks

Reply To Post

15. by bandchick1987
          (2 posts)

16 years ago

Hi...I know it's been awhile since you made this post, but I would love to have your transposed for tenor AWB music for Pick Up The Pieces...and if you have the time maybe to let me know what else you might have for tenor, it would save me lots of legwork, and the guys in the band are at me to do some more sax work. I am the lead singer, but we'd like to incorporate some more sax on stuff our male lead is singing. Thanks so much. [email protected] thanks again...bandchick1987

Reply To Post

16. by fernieno1
          (2 posts)

16 years ago

I know it was along time agao but I was hoping you could send me both tenor parts to Pick up the pieces. My email is [email protected] in advance

Reply To Post

17. by Zaven
          (1 post)

14 years ago

please send me the notes of Pick up the pieses to e-mail [email protected] Thanks very very

Reply To Post

18. by cuber
          (653 posts)

14 years ago

its on Average White Bands website

Reply To Post

19. by midi2000
          (1 post)

14 years ago

I am interested in the sheet music Pick up the Pieces for tenor. Please send me a copy. Thanks

Reply To Post

20. by cuber
          (653 posts)

14 years ago

it was on their website a bit ago, dont know if its still there. should be

Reply To Post

21. by David5303
          (1 post)

14 years ago

Could you send me your transcription of the tenor solo to Pick up the pieces? Thanx, Dave Fox [email protected]

Reply To Post

22. by Yts875ex
          (1 post)

13 years ago

I am supposed to solo for my college. I love the AWB solo and would like to keep it as close to that as possible. I know its been a long time since you posted but I was wondering if you could email me the solo. My email is [email protected]

Reply To Post

23. by TANGO SIX ONE
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

Response to El seano: Exactly this section is called jazz saxophone well then that means discussing jazz saxophone.The knights arnt having a go at any one other than pointing out a fact. Dulfers no jazz player, and we all know over the years in Holland the scene with her old man on the circuit clubs etc.Its all good stuff but she is no jazz player. To a jazz musician KG makes you feel your in one of ELseanos Armada in a force 10 with no tablets . The knight templar state that ignorance is bliss,jazz is on a different planet from these two characters. Good one respect to ELseano and the Armada.(Bird Lives)

Reply To Post

24. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

Well I must have forgot to mention it... After I posted my first thread, I went and found AWB's version. That one smoked. Then I found one off of JWpepper.com for a band arrangement (like one we'd do for a jazz band) so I have like four versions of Pick Up the Pieces on my PC. Calin, I'd be interested in that thing ya got. My email should be here, if ya can't get to it, lemme kno. Thanx.

Reply To Post

25. by CajunSax
          (76 posts)

19 years ago

Saxman - just emailed ya - lemme know u got it ok. Peace

Reply To Post Yahoo!

26. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

Yeppers got it. Thanx!

Reply To Post

27. by CajunSax
          (76 posts)

19 years ago

hey Saxman that AWB site u recommended was pretty cool...has it all laid out for Tenor & Alto, and has all the rhythm section. So all that time i spent laying it out and i could've just hit 'print'. Glad to know my 'street smarts' was pretty close to the real thing though. that site is www.averagewhiteband.com and click on musicians, has it in pdf format - pretty sweet.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

28. by EL Seano
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

Look guys, I'm sorry i keep bitching about this, but kenny g discussions should not be in the jazz section. Even kenny admits he ain't jazz. Goto www.wikipedia.org/kenny_g and see for yourselves. To the knights, sadly, there is no armada. I was intoxicated when i mentioned it. Trane Lives

Reply To Post

29. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

Kenny G does 'smooth jazz', therefore he has to be talked about in the jazz section for there is no smooth jazz section. Let's not turn this into a Kenny G thread. Besides, we're talking about "Pick Up the Pieces", not Kenny G. Get off it.

Reply To Post

30. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Perhaps we need to start a "smooth jazz" forum? Dave Koz, Kenny G, Candy Dulfer, and David Sanborn all have their own attributes. Rather you love them or hate them is beside the point. If you really want to experience JAZZ, I would encourage you to listen to some of the earlier stuff, like Charlie "Bird" Parker, Cannonball Adderly, John Coltrane, Stan Getz and others; at least to get a better understanding of the concept.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

31. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

Well Jim, I do have a few Coltrane songs on my PC and do listen to them on occasion and go onto his website to listen to his music. IMO, I listen to his music to learn. I really don't enjoy listening to it. Like if I just wanna kick back and close the eyes and zone out, I'll turn on Kenny G. Then again, I think that's his kind of music. I think David Sanborn will move if he hasn't moved already into the icon section that Coltrane and Adderly etc are in. I have been wanting to get around to listening to some Charlie Parker. I guess some Adderly and Getz is in order as well.

Reply To Post

32. by EL Seano
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

Hey Jim that's not a bad idea, you guys should start a smooth section.

Reply To Post

33. by EL Seano
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

Hey Saxman, you wanna zone out? check out Dexter Gordon's Ballads compilation. Absolutely beautiful.

Reply To Post

34. by TANGO SIX ONE
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

The knights state that( Long tall ) was a genious everything like all the great players developed from prez.No one repeat no one can play any style of jazz until they understand, yes thats right understand The Prez.Its the most important message any repeat any saxophone player of any style has to understand.Now its not the notes.But the knights are giving away in away a small aspect of the holy grail here.Unless you fully understand the prez message then its a waiste of time playing a horn.But you have got to work it out for your self.Many never make it Regarding David Sanborn. The knights templar respect his chosen style of work and was and is very good at doing that. Then i heard him do his out and out jazz thing recently and frankly he hasnt got the message.You dont wake up one day and switch hats and off you go.No no there is a lot more too it than that.Remember who hes now pitching himself against.To the knights templar its very sad when they do this.(Bird Lives)

Reply To Post

35. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

I think I've found the sound for my future soprano... Instead of bright and lively how about dark and mysterious? I think a slow moving jazz ballad with a dark loomering soprano sax would be awesome! I'm gonna get a YSS-475 in a black lacquer when I do get my soprano.

Reply To Post

36. by EL Seano
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

Well if you like soprano you should check out Dave Liebman (another great)

Reply To Post

37. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

Crap. I posted that in the wrong spot. But yea El Seano, I've been trying to find works by Lieb to little avail. Ergh.

Reply To Post

2. by chriskeenan
        (1 post)

17 years ago

Hey do you have the sheet music for the Pick Up The Pieces by Kenny G? I want to recommend this song to my high school's Jazz Band teacher, and I wanted to see if the music was actually out there. If you do, can you send me a copy to [email protected]? Thanks

Reply To Post

3. by straightj23
        (103 posts)

17 years ago

This is so wierd. My jazz band is playing Pick up the Pieces this year! Awesome song, and awesome tenor solo (I play alto though.) My friend from the jazz band (play's first tenor) had this exact same solo, and he had a hard time figuring it out as well. He put it into a music writing program on one of the school's computers and listened to the playback to figure it out. Pretty clever. He ended up doing a pretty good job. However, I don't need to read written-in solos. I IMPROVISE!!!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

17 years ago

chriskeenan, People make their livings writing music and selling it to others. It is illegal to share photocopied music. You would be better off asking for the publisher or library number and ask for the music to be ordered through your local music store.

Reply To Post

1. by JaZzer
            (25 posts)

17 years ago

However there is nothing wrong with transcribing and I strongly encourage it. It'll improve sight reading, ideas, and your ear just to name a few. Plus you can transcribe anything you'd like. As a jazz musician, if you hear something and you like it, steal it and own it! It'll become part of your vocabulary.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
              (964 posts)

17 years ago

I agree. Transcribing is great for the ear and great practice, and legal.

Reply To Post

2. by OrkneySax
            (3 posts)

17 years ago

It's one of the greatest funk sax features, and the original solo fits so perfectly it is worth trying to copy it, or at least the feel of it. AWB were brilliant at understated funk. I've never heard a good cover of this tune, in my opinion. Every one I have heard loses the feel and descends into a sort of funk-rock/rock (e.g. Candy Delfer....). The rythym section and the feel of the main sax riff are really important. It is worth really listening to what the original recording does, how the band all grooves against each other. That is the cleverest thing about the song. I've played the solo on Alto - I think it goes down too low (once). I play it on tenor now, it requires a bit of altissimo. I think up to high C or D. If you can't play the whole thing (like me - I'm not good enough at altissimo) you can actually try to play something improvised which fits but just hit those top long notes at the key moments, which gives the same feel.

Reply To Post

2. by straightj23
          (103 posts)

17 years ago

The solo is 12 bars of Cm7 chord and 5 bars of Gm7 for tenor. If you played it on alto, like I did, the chords are 12 bars of Gm7 and 5 bars of Dm7. Pick up the Pieces is a great song. If you transpose the chords, anybody can solo. The solo written in is a great one. There is no shame to play the written one, but you can't go wrong with improvising.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by The Insomniac Saxman
            (141 posts)

17 years ago

Actually, the changes should be C7 and Gm for tenor (G7 and Dm for alto) . . . it goes to the IV domimant 7 on the solo . . .

Reply To Post

3. by hlandsman
          (1 post)

17 years ago

in need of sheet music

Reply To Post

4. by k1vocal
          (1 post)

17 years ago

You can try getting the midi file on the net and then install cakewalk & slow it down enough so you can play it part by part. k1vocal.

Reply To Post

5. by laurawillgoose
          (1 post)

17 years ago

I am a saxophonist myself and i am looking for a performance piece to play for my A-level music course.

Reply To Post

6. by liltom
          (6 posts)

17 years ago

I have a self-transcribed version of the AWB solo for alto or tenor sax in Finale Notepad form that I can email.

Reply To Post

1. by bandchick1987
            (2 posts)

16 years ago

I would be ever so grateful if you could send me the tenor sax version of the solo for AWB. Thanks...bandchick1987 [email protected]

Reply To Post

2. by giantsiceman
            (1 post)

16 years ago

I'd appreciate it if you, or anyone for that matter, could send me a transcription for either alto or tenor, preferably alto though. [email protected]

Reply To Post

1. by rferreir
              (1 post)

16 years ago

I would also be extremely grateful for a transcription from someone of "Pick up the Pieces" for tenor (and alto?) for my 12 year old son. Thanks. [email protected]

Reply To Post

1. by jurgen
                (1 post)

16 years ago

If anyone could send me the solo for alt sax of pick up the pieces that would be great!! my address is [email protected] Many thanx in advance.

Reply To Post

2. by fernieno1
              (2 posts)

16 years ago

could you please send me both versions of the solo. My email is [email protected]

Reply To Post

3. by gsmeele
              (2 posts)

16 years ago

I would be ever so grateful if you could send me the tenor sax version of the solo for AWB. Please send mail to [email protected] Thanks. Regards, Gerard.

Reply To Post

4. by sarahsax
              (1 post)

16 years ago

please please please please please with a cherry on top! can you send me both the alto and tenor sax solo's for pickup the pieces. Do you know anyone whos got the candy dulfer version to? thanks sarahsax [email protected]

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

16 years ago

Someone emailed me a couple days ago and was asking me if I had transcribed "Pick Up The Pieces", and apparently they thought, probably by reading this post, that I had. I have my own version of the song that I play. I do not have the song transcribed. Transcribing is not a bad idea, especially if you're just learning to adlib. I don't chart many songs anymore unless it's a song that I'm not too familiar with, or an original tune that we're working on. Kids, I've been playing for over 20 years, and most of these old standards I can play blind-folded hanging upside down by a rope! To the person who emailed me, I'm sorry I didn't respond. Somehow, I deleted your email before I had a chance to reply.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by CajunSax
              (76 posts)

16 years ago

i just sent out an email to most of the replies i saw on here. let me know if anybody else still wants this transcription though. [email protected] is the best way to reach me i hear jim though...the best way is to do it by ear. I transcribed the solo for a student a while back - other than that everything i do is by ear. if i am looking at charts, it usually just to follow the chord progression on a new song or a song i'm not familiar with. other than that...it's all ear. best of luck everyone. ~duston [email protected] myspace.com/cajunsax

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by sslavoix
                (32 posts)

16 years ago

can someone put the link in the forum

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by jazzsax09
                  (7 posts)

16 years ago

Did anyone say they had the ALTO sax transcription for Pick up the Piceces available to email to me. i'd be much obliged!

Reply To Post

2. by liltom
                (6 posts)

16 years ago

In case you didn't see my earlier reply, I have a transcribed solo (Finale) from the AWB Pick up the Pieces. No Candy Dulfer stuff though :(

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
                  (653 posts)

16 years ago

sorry do pop your balloon, but the song is on AWB's website, including solos

Reply To Post

3. by mrrayshirley
                (1 post)

14 years ago

F7 chord: F G A Bb C D E F Cm7 chord: C D Eb F G A Bb C have fun

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
                  (930 posts)

14 years ago

mrrayshirley, not only was this post started 5 years ago that you have so graciously have brought back, you didn't even give correct advice as so far as a F7 or Cm7 chord............you have fun, go look it up!!...Kelsey
                  Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by kelsey
                  (930 posts)

14 years ago

mrrayshirley, not only was this post started 5 years ago that you have so graciously have brought back, you didn't even give correct advice as so far as a F7 or Cm7 chord............you have fun, go look it up!!...Kelsey
                  Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by cuber
                    (653 posts)

14 years ago

At least it wasnt that cannonball thread that took up half the page.

Reply To Post