Saxophone Forum

by StratmanBaze
(61 posts)
19 years ago

Coleman Hawkins

Ever since I heard some songs off his album, "At Ease with Coleman Hawkins", I was taken away from his sound. Not only because it was good, but because its the sound I'm going after (i guess with a little modification). does anyone know the setup he uses? I know he's got an Otto Link, but does anyone know which kind? Also, what kind of tenor? (I got a ref. 54 and a mark vi if it helps) Thanks in advance!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Coleman Hawkins

Only description I can give you of his setup you have already, and thats a metal florida link. As for his horn, thats easy. It comes up on ebay every few months. Its a triple gold plated SBA and has his name engraved on it

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by StratmanBaze
      (61 posts)

19 years ago

lol, why does it come on ebay every few months? too expensive for people?

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

19 years ago

ive never seen anyone bid, but Ive also never seen the starting bid below 9000 USD

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by altosax
          (19 posts)

19 years ago

cool, i'd like to see it sometime... I wonder why collectors don't buy it, there must be some who can afford it

Reply To Post

2. by StratmanBaze
          (61 posts)

19 years ago

well for now I guess I'll have to save up for a florida link. the link that came with my mark VI is a new york one...it's alright... does the florida link box add to the value of the otto link? j/w

Reply To Post

3. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

19 years ago

------------------------------------------------------------ I wonder why collectors don't buy it, there must be some who can afford it ------------------------------------------------------------ Probably because no one with enough money believes it will make them sound like Coleman Hawkins or play Body and Soul by itself.

Reply To Post

4. by StratmanBaze
          (61 posts)

19 years ago

it would still be a nice....nice....souvenir....or collectable or something like that to have

Reply To Post

5. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

not for 9 large, thats too much $$

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

6. by StratmanBaze
          (61 posts)

19 years ago

well, if you got the money..... i dont have the money, thats for sure...i gotta save up for law school :-/

Reply To Post