Saxophone Forum

by Shanz
(3 posts)
19 years ago

My alto constantly squeaks when i play it!

On certain notes i'll totally just squeak and i can't help it. It doeans't matter if i tounge or not. I'm using a 2 1/2 - 3 vandorean reed, i'm not sure if its that the reed is too soft/hard or something completely different, but what do you normally do to stop squeaking?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jaggtagg7
    (40 posts)

19 years ago

Re: My alto constantly squeaks when i play it!

first, what do you mean by 2 1/2 - 3? that you switch between both? i had a squeak problem when i first started to play alto more heavliy (ie in two bands). i had been useing 3 vandorens b/c i switch from clarinet but i found that using 2 1/2 eliminated it. although really i suggest you have your horn checked out for leaks. then see if it still happens.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Shanz
      (3 posts)

19 years ago

Well during band i use 2 1/2 but for my nyssma solo i use a 3 cause i go up to a high f, but whichever reed i use it still squeaks. I just had my alto fixed so there shouldn't be any leaks. Thnx alot.

Reply To Post

1. by tenor562
        (297 posts)

19 years ago

It might be your mouthpiece and reed together. Sometimes, when you get the wrong amount of resistance it doesn't sound right and tends to squeak. Either look into getting a new mouthpiece, or test a lot of different reed types and strengths out to solve the problem. If you're using the Blue box reeds, you might want to look into ZZ's or Javas, sometimes the french file cut doesn't work for people unless they go softer. Also, I've been having tone quality problems lately when I don't breathe enough, maybe that's it. -tenor562

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Shanz.....get some Decon pellets and drop them in the bell, wait a few days, turn the sax upside down and shake out the dead mouse! Seriously though, have you had the sax inspected? There could be a pad that is not closing properly which is causing your squeak.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Shanz
        (3 posts)

19 years ago

lol...funny.....it was just fixed so that shouldn't be it but you never know....but i didn't do anything but get a new reed (same brand just i threw out my old one) and it stopped so mayby there was a nick that i didn't see, and one person i know said he may be nervous jitters since i have a competition coming up, and when i really relax its ok so i think it was that all my muscles were really tense. Well thanks everyone for all your help i will try all of your reoccomendatins. -shanz-

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Sometimes reeds can look perfectly fine and still be the cause of problems. Glad you got it taken care of anyway

Reply To Post Yahoo!