Saxophone Forum

by stray dog
(16 posts)
19 years ago

Keilwerth ST-90 Series III Soprano?

What does anyone know about the quality of this instrument? What's a fair price? What's set-up do you suggest? Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Keilwerth ST-90 Series III Soprano?

the Keilwerth ST 90 is made by Jupiter and they are a decent student-intermediate model instrument. For the price, they are pretty hard to beat, and have a good sound. New they retail for around $1100. You might find a nice used one for around $800. I have an SX 90 Keilwerth Soprano, and I am using a Meyer 5 hard rubber mouthpiece. I haven't owned the horn very long, but this set up seems to work very well. I play some Kenny G and Grover WashingtonJr. kind of stuff, and it sounds good.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by stray dog
      (16 posts)

19 years ago

Jim, good info, thanks. Is the SX 90 a professional level instrument?

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Yes, the SX-90 is a professional model. There is the SX-90 and SX-90R. They are basically the same, except the R has soldered on tone rings that mimic the rolled tone holes of the earlier Conns. I think it gives them a darker tone; very warm and lush, but the R's sell for a premium price. The SX-90's you can find for around $2700. I haven't seen an R for less than $3200

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Actually that ST-90 is made to the same specifications as the SX-90, but by Jupiter. It has many pro features, just lacks the finess and fancy engravings.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

www.keilwerth.com/instruments_main.asp Soprano Saxophone ST 90 Series III B-Bb-C#-G# mechanism - makes mechanism for little finger of left hand fast and easy to operate because of pivoted Bb key Hydraulically formed neck - excellent intonation and response High F# key - allows for better playing faility in the altissiomo register Body and keys gold lacquered or silver-plated - attraktive design 2 component epoxy lacquer with hardener - longer durability Leather pads with metal resonators - high quality, long lasting, improved sound projection and clarity Adjustable thumbrest (metal for soprano, plastic for alto and tenor) - for individual hand positioning Soprano comes with both a straight and curved neck - for a different sound and playing angle Soprano Saxophone SX 90 and SX90II Adjustable palm keys - adjustable for height and angle Mother of pearl keys without a bezel - for optimum playing comfort B-Bb-C#-G# key mechanism - makes mechanism for little finger of left hand fast and easy to operate , because of pivoted Bb key Auxiliary high F- sharp key - for better playing facility in the altissimo register Adjustable thumb rest - guarantees the optimum hand position Leather pads with metal resonators, waterproof - high quality, long lasting; improved sound projection and clarity SX90II comes with both a straight and a curved neck - for an individual sound Hydraulically formed neck - excellent intonation and response

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by jamterry
        (573 posts)

19 years ago

as of late i have played some kielwerth and jupiter horns. i liked the jupiter bari a lot. i haven't played the soprano. if the bari is any indication, i think jupiter makes a playable horn. i think you might want to mess with mouthpieces to see what the soprano likes. i recommend a selmer stock soprano mouthpiece, and a meyer for more brilliance on with the motley :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ