Saxophone Forum

by straightj
(18 posts)
19 years ago

Alto to Tenor

I am switching to Tenor Sax in jazz band. Is there any proper way to make the transition? I know that this may be a no-brainer for most people and I know that I may sound stupid. I'm just curious.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Alto to Tenor

Straightsax - I'm trying to email you pictures, but they're not getting through from a couple addresses of mine. Send me an email and let me know where you want them sent.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan88
      (318 posts)

19 years ago

Pictures? OK... Straightsax I'm gonna give you the same piece of advice my band director, who really is a clarinet player but when it comes to sax tenor is his 'main axe', gave me when I was put on tenor after six years of alto. You have to watch your embouchure. There are slight variations needed in it (dropping your jaw some while still keeping the corners of your lips tight and then dealing with intonation) to play a tenor sax. Other than that and dealing with the harmonic differences within the ensemble, you shouldn't have too much of a problem. Good luck!

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

19 years ago

SM88 - you're stepping into the middle of an unrelated dialogue. I should have made clear that I'm not talking about embouchre pictures, though I'm sure Straightsax is aware of this. I'm sending him pictures of a horn unrelated to this post.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

Well the guy's posting on a public board and so are you. If you don't specify how am I supposed to kno wut you're all talking about? I just answered the boy's question. Nuff said. With curiosity of the pictures of course.

Reply To Post