Saxophone Forum

by Jordan1234
(2 posts)
19 years ago

Have you any outstanding Blues solos?

I have heard great music by many substantial artists but i know that many of them used the great skill of improvisation. My question is that did any of them leave that talent on paper so a classically taught sax player like myself can branch out to new styles of music without having to spend a great deal of his time learning to improvise which is a skill which takes years to progress through and is a different sound each day. Does anyone hae this music on paper please?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Have you any outstanding Blues solos?

blues are great, but dont get stuck on them. i suggest avoiding blues right off the bat. get an omni book and learn to improv from that

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by west
      (242 posts)

19 years ago

You mean those Charlie Parker Books? Those are frikin hard!!

Reply To Post

1. by barisax999
        (400 posts)

19 years ago

the omni book is hard as hell. however it is, in my opinion, the best book for learning not just solo licks, but overall jazz form

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by west
          (242 posts)

19 years ago

My friend has one of those books, and i saw that some of the songs breach tempo 300. sidenote: I'm not a big fan of improv. the only time i like it, is when the soloist can play it well with the sound of the band. Get my meaning? I hate the improv that doesn't sound good with the background.

Reply To Post

2. by barisax999
          (400 posts)

19 years ago

i have to disagree with that one. one of the most key elements of jazz music is improv. the bird was known more for his improv than anything else. all of the greatest players were all about improv. play in a combo and youll learn to appreciate the value of improv through experience knowledge gained

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by west
          (242 posts)

19 years ago

I like improv, however, i only like the improv that sounds good with the background music. If a tenor sax soloist plays a sharp when a background tenor plays a natural, it sounds like crap. It is hard to explain, so if you don't understand it, it is only a pet-peeve of mine.

Reply To Post

4. by barisax999
          (400 posts)

19 years ago

no shit! of course it sounds bad when you play out of key. and its not called "background music" its called a mother F-ing rhythm section. sweet lord.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

5. by west
          (242 posts)

19 years ago

Bari Sax-I was a band mom. I don't really care about learning what to call things. As long as other people can understand what i'm trying to get across, it doesn't matter

Reply To Post

2. by spifster
        (67 posts)

19 years ago

If you want blues solos, go to sheetmusicplus or a site like that and look up Jimi Hendrix: Blues. Its like the bird omni but just of jimi hendrix blues solos. You would have to transpose it, but its well worth the effort.

Reply To Post

1. by jbarisaxman
          (6 posts)

19 years ago

go with the omni book if you get into your blues scales too much youll end up sounding boring... use the blues scale like a spice, and learn your dominant 7th's first thats a great place to start. if you know your major scales, just flatten the seventh.

Reply To Post AIM