Saxophone Forum

by someguy
(80 posts)
19 years ago

In ear monitors.

Is anyone using one? I just purchased an E3 by Shure and am having a custom ear piece made for it. It is wierd to practice with it in. But it is nice when you are trying to hear the music. Any thoughts?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

19 years ago

Re: In ear monitors.

I have used them but i preffer standard monitors as you can hear the band ,especially the drummer, better giving a more 3D sound rather then just in ear piece. There again when i first started playing monitors were a lizard and never found on a stage. Dave

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I tried them once. I sat in with a band that used them, and I really didn't care for them at all. I use Yamaha SM112's. I had some Peaveys also, but the Yamahas are much more efficient. All the PA gear I'm using right now is Yamaha, including the board, amps, monitors, mains and subs. I bought them through Guitar Center a couple years ago. For the price, the Yamaha stuff is pretty hard to beat!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I think the in-ear monitors they probably a cheaper model like Nady or something. They're a pretty good band, but every time I see them, they have all new equipment but usually the cheapest stuff you can find. The guitarist has 30 different guitars, but they're all cheap copies like Squire, Sammick, and brands that nobody has ever heard of! I'd rather have one Genuine Fender Strat or a Gibson Les Paul than 100 cheap copies, but to each his own! Anyway, the reason I didn't like the in-ear monitors was because I kept getting tangled up in the chords for one thing! That was the biggest reason, and pulling the monitor out of my ear. I wasn't able to hear what was going on around me, like Dave said. I just wasn't impressed at all. I think that the traditional boxes across the front of the stage is a better way to go. In situations where we did not have a lot of room, we would set the monitors on top of the subs, and face them towards us, and then put the mains (Yamaha 15" 2 ways) on tripods. That seemed to work out fairly well.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by phathorn
          (165 posts)

19 years ago

I also like the yamaha gear quite a bit...I don't like anything in my ears when I'm playing...I feel like it throws my sound off (even if it doesn't, it's unnerving to me). We're currently running JBL, QSC, and Mackie. Ideally I'd like to move to Turbosounds. I think they are a bit cleaner. As far as bang for the buck, though, nothing beats the yamaha cabinets, subs, and boards.

Reply To Post

2. by CajunSax
          (76 posts)

19 years ago

IN my experience with PA's and monitors (both in-ear and on stage) I am able to EQ the sound of the band in my ear along with my sax. Main reason for me is hearing the band and myself over the crowd noise. I use pretty much the same technique as if in the studio recording with headphones piping in the rest of the band. Just ask your sound guy to pipe in the band with your sax and that should work. New question and maybe a new post I should start, but anybody have luck with those "Harmonizers" out there? Basicly the idea is to program the thing to play another horn (via midi i suppose) but at a different pitch based on the song, chords, etc...all of which is pre-programmed. Apparantly you're able to get a 'horn section' sound with just one sax player. Similar i guess to 'single fingering' chords on most keyboards. I'd like to try these out and would like to hear from anyone who knows more about these.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by someguy
          (80 posts)

19 years ago

I have a Shure E3 in ear system that I have been trying for a few weeks now. I just got custome ear molds made by sensaphonics. I love them, what a difference it made. The original fit kit that came with the shure was good but not what I was looking for. The sound I here now is a mix of ambient and monitor mix, more natural. We are supposed to be getting some more Aviom systems in, that is the main reason I went with the Shure E3. In response to the midi, in the past I ran through a guitar compressor that changed things up. I cant remember if it had a harminizer in it. Start a new thred and ask. Good Luck

Reply To Post

4. by phathorn
          (165 posts)

19 years ago

If you go to Jeffcoffin.com (sax player for the Flecktones) he mentions the type of harmonizer he uses if I remember correctly...

Reply To Post