Saxophone Forum

by Rachael
(13 posts)
19 years ago

favorite

Who is yourfavorite composer and why? Mine is Eric Whitacre...I think the pieces he comes up with are amazing!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by StratmanBaze
    (61 posts)

19 years ago

Re: favorite

well if you're talking about jazz I'd say dave brubeck and coleman hawkins. what i like about them that really makes them stand out is that they go after melodies more than technique. now, this is my opinion, and i am only sharing it: after I listen to them all a lot, people like john coltrane, miles davis, sonny rollins, ect. just sound alike... they are all just blues-jazz players. I like coleman hawkins and the dave brubeck quartet because they have soft but energetic, melodious, rhythmic songs that attract a wide variety of audiences because they're music is more understandable to more people. great players like john coltrane and miles davis may use feeling (i have felt that "feeling" only in one of their songs: 'round midnight') but mostly people who maybe are players or have a VERY acquired taste will enjoy them 100%. thats how I view it (in my opinion) anyways. I havent heard of Eric Whitacre, but I will check him out on my next trip to the library.

Reply To Post