Saxophone Forum

by j3rown
(1 post)
19 years ago

Vintage Selmer Larry Teal

I just bought a Vintage Selmer Larry Teal off eBay and am having difficulty getting the sound I want. I was using a Selmer S80 C* before, with a Vandoren 3.5 reed and a Vandoren Optimum lig. I tried both the Vandoren 3.5 reeds and a Alexander Superial 3 on the LT, but I get a buzzy, bottled tone. I was getting a fairly decent sound on my C*, but it wasn't dark enough for my taste. So I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on what reed and lig to use. I'm thinking about buying a Rovner Eddie Daniels, because I tried out my friend's and really liked it. But I still don't know which reed to use. -j3rown

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Vintage Selmer Larry Teal

I play Fibracell Medium Hard or Hard reeds on my scroll shank alto LT. I get a warmer sound than an S80 provides. I've been playing on this piece for about 15 years now, so it's like my best friend. My piece is a great player - not buzzy by any means, but not stuffy, either. I can evaluate your facing and even replicate my own to yours if you'd be interested in doing something like that. Shoot me an email if you'd like some help in that regard...

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

19 years ago

Forgot to mention that I use a standard two screw lig (inverted, screws to the left). I've used a Rovner dark before, but have just had good success with the 2-screw jobbie so I don't mess up with my set-up there. I'm currently playing on a YAS-23 (soon to be sold) but used to play on a Selmer III and a few others. This mouthpiece has worked very well on every horn I've put it on. Some mouthpieces are particular to the horn. That or I'm just so used to it that I can make it do what I want regardless of the horn it goes on. Certainly, some horns don't respond well to certain mouthpiece designs, but the LT should work without too much trouble. Soon, I'll be on an SX90R, so that should be interesting...

Reply To Post

1. by selmer 4evr
        (309 posts)

19 years ago

I think you guys are too much into mouthpieces an S80 C* is a very good piece if you get a good one . As for the LT it does not work well with Mk7 and up . Here is what I would do. Try a bunch of C*s or whatever you decide on and purchase one. When you get very familiar with it start searching for a better one ( try at least 100 pieces a year it might take a few years to find an exceptional one ) this way you are comparing apples with apples . As soon as you find a better one or one that gives you a slightly different color that you like buy it . Continue this searching with any piece,,, even if you wish to own a few types . You will find that you will get to know the piece and quite knowledgeable about its abilities . resist the temptation to change from brand to brand in search of a specific sound. I play a C* and I can get the same sound as a Meyer ,,Brilhart ,,or even a Rubber Link ,,,there is a little difference with a metal piece . be patient and good luck

Reply To Post

2. by Rben20
      (35 posts)

19 years ago

Hmm well are you intrested in selling your vintage larry teal mouthpiece crown?...my friend just got one and I like it a lot...Im debating on whether i should get a new one or old one...is there really a difference anyways?

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

19 years ago

Both the scroll shank and modern LT's have a round chamber (and a more closed facing, long facing length), but the scroll shank LT's have thinner side rails (particularly towards the bottom of the window) which makes them blow a little less resistant. I had my hands on a modern LT not too many months ago, and I thought it was decent. But I've had my LT for over 15 years and know it like the back of my hand, so nothing quite feels the same. Frankly, though, with vintage pieces, you never know what the wear will be like - and what used to be a great mouthpiece can end up playing like a dog. So your best bet is to try some modern ones if you have the opportuniy to play test before you buy. You never know, though. Sometimes you come across a nice older piece that just plays gloriously - that or you hand it over to someone who can tweak it if it needs any adjustments... like yours truly...

Reply To Post

3. by saxoaltissimo
      (1 post)

10 years ago

Reply To Post