Saxophone Forum

by MD1032
(6 posts)
19 years ago

Need kick-butt bari reeds

I recently picked up bari sax a couple months ago to play in our Blues Band, "The Joliets", based on the blues brothers. My primary instrument is actually the clarinet, but I have picked up bari sax with ease for some reason (I can already bend notes up to a full half step downward and can hit low A's easily) I use a Selmer 156A bari sax, which is a complete piece of junk, but that's besides the point. I use a "D" S80 mouthpiece and I am aquiring a Rovner light ligature. Up until this point, I've been buying Vandoren Traditional reeds, size 3, and then shaven them down with my Glass Reed Resurfacer and made various designs. The problem is that this is very time consuming, and the result of my experiments isn't always favorable. What I really need is a reed with a smooth tone that can really put out some serious rumble in the low end. All I ever do is basically honk out those "dig" things, we've come to call them. Those familiar with blues will know what I mean. Price is no objective, I just want some good reeds that will last for a while and will sound exceptional. Thanks for any help!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Need kick-butt bari reeds

I would be inclined to change my mpc as a selmer D is a bit light for your type of music.. Perhaps try la voz reeds or maybe the plain orange box rico's , thats what i use for R/R and blues gigs but i use a metal lawton 8bb mpc Dave

Reply To Post

1. by MD1032
      (6 posts)

19 years ago

I've tried the Rico orange box ones and they're just as completely and totally disgusting as the clarinet variants I ahve occasionally been forced to use. The rico royals are a step upward, but not necessarily in the right direction. What do you mean by a bit light? I think this mouthpiece performs pretty well. I can really honk things out with this sucker. It's a lot better than my old C**.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I like LaVoz bari reeds about the best of any I've tried. I use a Rico Royal Graftonite mouthpiece on a King Zephyr Bari, and it sounds pretty good

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by MD1032
          (6 posts)

19 years ago

OK. What do you use? They use a "soft, medium, hard" system instead of numbers so I am at a loss as to what's the best. I take a 3.5 on clarinet and I thin my 3.0 vandorens on bari sax down to about 2.0-2.5 I'm guessing, though around 3.0 seems to function best on the Rico Royals, but then again they tend to run soft and also suck.

Reply To Post