Saxophone Forum

by 7o94me
(5 posts)
19 years ago

need info on my sax

I have a Buffet Crampon (serial number 7875) that I purchased back in '74. This sax is great, maybe because it was my first sax that I had for the longest time. I can't play anymore and I'm wondering whether if my honey is of any value? Does anyone know? Another question, when was it made?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by west
    (242 posts)

19 years ago

Re: need info on my sax

I am not familiar with sax Buffets , only clarinet ones. Do you know what level horn it is? "I'm wondering whether if my honey is of any value" I don't understand that. could've been a misspelling.

Reply To Post

1. by 7o94me
      (5 posts)

19 years ago

The word "honey" was a freudian slip. When I was typing this message, my wife was calling me from another room and I responded to wife by calling her "sax" and I typed in inadvertently "honey". However, now looking back on it, my Buffet Crampon sax is my honey as well.

Reply To Post

2. by 7o94me
      (5 posts)

19 years ago

I just found out about my sax. According to Saxgourmet.com, my horn was made in 1961 or so, (if I understand the information in the "sax history and serial number" page correctly). Its been estimated by this site to be in or around in the 2000 dollar price range. Its in great condition, but I had it relacquered back in 1981 which may bring the value somewhat lower. But I think I might keep it after all. But then again who knows? Anyways, I'd like to thank this website for being a good springboard into finding more info on my sax. By reading other peoples reponses, I was able to ascertain the right sites and eventually the info I needed. But if anyone else has any other info on my sax that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again folks! (smile)

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Buffet saxophones are good horns, but never seemed to be as highly regarded as their clarinets. Buffet clarinets are the best! I play an mid-60's vintage R-13 and I love it. I would say $1200-$1500 would be a more realistic figure. It might book for more than that, but getting it might be more difficult. Good Luck, Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by edutzu
          (12 posts)

19 years ago

i have a buffet crampone to, it is an s1 from 1977. this is the best horn ever produced by buffet, acordy to many musicians.it is a very rare horn, and hard to find, and it is absolutely great. i will never sell it, and i think that every person who has an buffet(s1)should do the same question to 7o94me: is your buffet an s1 or something alse?

Reply To Post