Saxophone Forum

by mrd
(137 posts)
19 years ago

Metal Tenor Dukoff D6

There must be many who can give me opinions on this. I have a SA80 II. Can I get thoughts on how this mouthpiece would work with this horn.. Thank you guys. Please post for me...

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by StratmanBaze
    (61 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Metal Tenor Dukoff D6

I got a dukoff d7 plugged into a selmer mk vi and a ref. 54. I like my sound very much. HOWEVER the selmers i got are dark... the dukoff is bright...so they fit well because the sound is somewhere in the middle. with an SA80 II, however, it may be too bright. I never had problems with quality from dukoff... some say there are, and there very well could be. for an SA80, why not try a Berg or Yani without the baffle... Bergs sold here are cheaper than www.wwbw.com hope this helps

Reply To Post

1. by mrd
      (137 posts)

19 years ago

Interesting

Thank you for your reply. I tried a NY Otto Link, and did not like it at all. Perhaps it was just that one, but I sold it. I use a Brilhart Level Aire 5, and like its sound. Bright, but with quality. What do the Metal Bergs sound like?

Reply To Post

1. by mrd
        (137 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Interesting

The Berg Larsen is 90/0. I know the 0 is bright, but does the smaller opening make up a little for that, or would you suggest I do not get into a "0". But stay in the 2-3 range??

Reply To Post

1. by StratmanBaze
          (61 posts)

19 years ago

Well, 0 or 1 may be very bright... but then again 3 is another extreme... it's all on your opinion. To be honest with you I'd try the 2. I also would go or a bigger opening, but countless greats have used from sizes from 4 to 9 so it doesn't really matter. I don't know how to explain what Bergs sound like because they come in a big variety. You watch Saturday Night Live? The sax player uses one. If you're happy with your Brilhart, stay with it. Try other things just to be sure.

Reply To Post

2. by StratmanBaze
          (61 posts)

19 years ago

also, I have heard a lot of people say good stuff about Otto Links and I've heard people say they're inconsistant. If that Otto Link you bought didn't impress you I'd keep on trying them out because I'm sure they sound good. Maybe I can help you...what's your price range?

Reply To Post