Saxophone Forum

by Sweetaltostuff
(4 posts)
19 years ago

Teaching sax...

I've been teaching sax players (as a HS student) for 3 years now. I'd like to improve my teaching, though. I know enough about theory to stay on top of anyone I teach it to, and I know some about teaching intonation, pitch, sound quality, breathing, and the like, but any methods, specific or broad, would be appreciated. I would specifically appreciate good ways of encouraging practice, positive attitude toward playing, and focus during playing, but any small ideas or methods are helpful. Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sweetaltostuff
    (4 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Teaching sax...

sorry for the double-post... I just wanted to add that references to books or web sites that might be halpful are appreciated, too.

Reply To Post

1. by barisax999
      (400 posts)

19 years ago

i teach as well. and it really varies from student to student. some of them a small guilt trip works, its not the nicest way, but it gets the job done. another way is almost showing off in a sense. by showing what good practice can do, you can encourage them to try to play just like you. thats what my old teacher used to do and it worked really well.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Sweetaltostuff
        (4 posts)

19 years ago

Well, I have done both. And I think I'm breaking one of them in. I think I'm going to give free lessons (except gas money) this summer, and really try to get them used to practicing in their homes... Do you know of any good exersizes to have them practice? (Like technique excersizes other than scales or special breathing exersizes)

Reply To Post