Saxophone Forum

by SaxAppeal
(67 posts)
19 years ago

What makes the difference?

This maybe a simple answer or maybe a complex one...What makes the difference in every sax. Why does the selmer sa 80 sound better then the yamaha yas23 (i know the yas23 is a student horn) ,but how does the construction, etc of the horn make the difference in playing ability, sound, etc.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: What makes the difference?

There are a lot of differences, actually. There are different bore sizes Different Materials; some companies like Selmer use red brass, which contains a fair amount of copper. Various alloys and different compositions of brass are used. Different construction and manufacturing processes. Some parts are casted and made from molds. Others are made using presses and machines. Some of the cheaper keys are coined, etc. Different quality pads. Some have metal resonators, some have plastic. The better saxophones have blue tempered steel springs, and real mother of pearl inlays. The type and thickness of lacquer or plating makes a difference There are differences in key configuration and arrangement, which may effect sound to an extent. The type of toneholes makes a difference. The neck design, and octave tube make a big difference. The size of the bell The thickness of the metal The mouthpiece design Have I repeated anything? I'm tired and half drunk! Anyway, these are a few of the factors that effect the sound, and the differences between the better quality pro horns and the student horns.

Reply To Post Yahoo!