Saxophone Forum

by baronvonmeskel
(17 posts)
19 years ago

Flying on plane with a bari

In a few weeks I need to fly to Tuscon and I want to take my horn. I have travelled with a bari before, but it was always either my high school or college's horn. This trip I will be taking my own horn. The problem is, I don't trust the baggage handlers. I have a Mt. Vernon case (the ones sold on this site) which is a copy of the Pro Tec case. In the past I always used the stock hard case, but I don't have one for this horn. I can't afford to buy a new flight case, and I can't afford to buy a seat for the saxophone. What should I do to make sure my horn is safe? Does anybody think it will be safe to check in at the airport?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by streetSax570
    (25 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Flying on plane with a bari

Just Wrap the bari case with some hard cloth and put a bunch of signs saying fragile,careful,do not break, hold firmly.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

19 years ago

You need a durable hard flight case with provisions for a lock that can be opened only by baggage inspectors. They make these locks now with special keys that FAA folks can get into non-destructively. They can open the lock, inspect what's inside, and then put the lock back on. They cost maybe $10 at the most. I think this is about as secure as you can get and not get your bari case handed back to you in two pieces.

Reply To Post

1. by The_§ax
        (147 posts)

19 years ago

I thank that you should do all of these things and also wrap the bari, inside its case with bubble wrap quite well. Yes it sounds really dumb but it works. It's very hard with a Bari, i normally i only carry my alto or a tenor, and they fit in the over head storage. Good luck, i dont trust baggage handlers either, even with a fragile sticker on it they would still throw it. You could put weights in it! Just Joking!

Reply To Post