Saxophone Forum

by xBabysaxgirLx
(13 posts)
19 years ago

Reeds

What kind of reed plays the best? I currently use Hempke...but haven't been exposed to much else... what do you think?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Reeds

I had a prof in college that swore by them - Fred Hemke was his teacher of course, might have had somethin to do with it... My favorites are Alexanders, but you have to stay a few boxes ahead of yourself on them as they dont ship very often it seems, but they are the best reeds i have ever played. I dont really like vandorens, since they are made in the french style, and done with traditional frecnh playing style characterisrics in mind(they say screw everyone else basically) so the reeds are all harder on the left side since thats how they play. Rico Jazz reeds are also very nice, la voz are excellent, and are glotin, but glotin are even harder to get than the alexanders. Hope this helps!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I've always liked LaVoz, and they are relatively inexpensive compared to some of the others. I have tried so many tenor reeds, and they are still my favorite.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

19 years ago

i studied with fred hemke. he was inapiration to me. i have always used vandoren, but you don't get many good ones in a box. i always hand pick my reeds, but most stores don't like people to handle the reeds.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

3. by Spike
    (248 posts)

19 years ago

i ike lavoz or rico select jazz. then again, i play a berg larson 90/1M

Reply To Post