Saxophone Forum

by xBabysaxgirLx
(13 posts)
19 years ago

The Raven Vs. The Shadow.

Which is better the Keilwerth SX90R Shadow or Cannonball's "Raven" tenor? They both look gorgeous, but my boyfriend says that he doesn't like the way the Keilwerth sounds, or how it plays, and he prefers the Raven. I realize they are both high quality saxophones, but I have slight apprehensions about the American-made Raven. Not having been given the opportunity to play either one, however, I can't tell. What do you think?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by phathorn
    (165 posts)

19 years ago

Re: The Raven Vs. The Shadow.

The Cannonball isn't American made. It's made in Taiwan. The fit and finish of the Keilwerth is probably higher but the Cannonball is also very good. As far as sound, each is very distinctive. Keilwerth is a very "vintage" sound, meaning a big, heavy, dark sounding horn, while the cannonballs tend to be lighter and a bit brighter. The only way to decide the best one is to play both.

Reply To Post

1. by xBabysaxgirLx
      (13 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks. I was just wondering really seeing as I can't afford either one...the Cannonball is American assembled though isn't it? I don't really know, but my boyfriend's tenor has USA engraved on it...

Reply To Post AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I have played a few of each, and I own a Keilwerth SX 90 soprano. I've been thinking about buying a Keilwerth tenor also. The Cannonballs are decent horns. I've played a few that I liked. At first, I thought they sucked! But, they have gotten considerably better. Quality control is still an issue. They are NOT made in the USA. That's a big misconsumption. They are made in Taiwan. The Keilwerth is German made. It's the Mercedes or BMW of saxophones today. They are made very well. The quality is far superior to the Cannonball. The sound of the Keilwerth is more of a bold, vintage sound. The newer Cannonballs sound good too, but they don't have the depth and character of sound like the Keilwerth. They're considerably brighter, but thinner sounding. Cannonballs are very inconsistant. I've played some that I liked and others I didn't. I'd have a little more respect for them if they were made in the USA, but my honest opinion of Cannonball? They're just a bastardized hybrid cross between a Selmer Mark VI and a King Super 20 that is produced as cheaply as possible. It's an $1800 horn with a $1,000,000 sales pitch! Still, some people like them.

Reply To Post Yahoo!