Saxophone Forum

by edutzu
(12 posts)
19 years ago

i need a good alto mouthpice

i wat to ask you about a good alto mouthpiece, because i have a great horn(buffet crampon s1 from 1977),and i don't know what mouthpiece to chose. now i have a yanagisawa 7, and i am happy with it, but i would like to try something new. i want to buy an otto link super tone master, but i gest heard that is great for tenor, and on the alto, does not work so good any opinion it would be ok

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Spike
    (248 posts)

19 years ago

Re: i need a good alto mouthpice

don't we all... oh, i mean... try a meyer 6. they're good. but not the new one... g or something... they suck

Reply To Post

1. by edutzu
      (12 posts)

19 years ago

tank you very much spike for the sugestion. did you try this mayer 6? if yes, how is compare to the otto link?

Reply To Post

1. by Spike
        (248 posts)

19 years ago

i've tried a lot of alto mouthpieces(including links,) and I own a meyer 5. The 6 is better suited to most people.

Reply To Post

1. by Sonnydex
          (5 posts)

19 years ago

Meyer 6* here for a long time, I switched to the Soloist in order to pretend Garrett' sound, I got a C** wide opened by Francois Louis and it's good, better on the low and medium tones but Meyers wins on the High tones.

Reply To Post

2. by edutzu
          (12 posts)

19 years ago

is this mayer 6 a metal or hard rubber? have the metal mouthpieces a darker sound that rubber, or richer in harmonics?

Reply To Post

3. by Spike
          (248 posts)

19 years ago

hard rubber. the material of the mouthpiece has little to do with the sound, but metal will give you more of the 8th and 12th

Reply To Post

4. by altosax
          (19 posts)

19 years ago

I use a meyer 7 which is very nice

Reply To Post

2. by Conn-man
        (11 posts)

19 years ago

May I suggest a different approach? First ask yourself what do you want to change in your current sound. Do you want the sound to be brighter, or darker, more focused or broader, warmer or more screechy (in a good way)? Then look at your current mouthpiece. Does it have a high baffle or a low baffle. Large chamber or short chamber? Straight walls or rounded walls? Short facing or long facing? If you are playing a high baffle, short chambered metal mouthpiece, and you want a wamer sound, then going to a rubber mouthpiece or a larger chamber might do the trick. But at the same time your air will travel slower and you will loose some projection. The Otto link is a larger bore, lower baffle mouthpiece. If you want a more rock & roll or fusion kind of sound, then try a higher baffle and a shorter chamber. But at the same time you will have a little less control over the horn (due to the faster sir) and you will tend to loose the lower notes. But you might find the altissimo will come out better. A bobby dukoff is a typical high baffle short chamber mouthpiece. Also remember that the mouthpiece has to have enough volume to complete the conical bore of the sax. If it has too much volume or tool little, your sax will tend to be out of tune with itself when you use it. In general older saxophones need larger chamber mouthpieces. Your 1977 horn probably doesn't need that large of a chamber. And also keep in mind that metal moutpieces don't vibrate as much as rubber ones, so the metal ones will have a more focused, fusion sound, while the rubber ones will have a broader, mellower sound. There is a little science behind the mothpieces, and if you do a little studying, you can probably narrow the choices of mouthpieces you want to try and may be able to get away from sifting through everyone's anectdotal experiences.

Reply To Post

1. by lejazzhotsax
          (15 posts)

19 years ago

I agree with Conn-man. I have a whole shoebox full of mouthpieces because I didn't define in my head what I wanted before I went searching. "If you don't know where you're going, you'll never know when you've arrived." Take the time to listen to players and figure out what you want before you search. Makes the trip short and sweet. Happy hunting!

Reply To Post

1. by edutzu
            (12 posts)

19 years ago

tank's for your mesages first i realy apreciate yours conn man

Reply To Post