Saxophone Forum

by s9ast
(8 posts)
19 years ago

"Aging" polished lacquer on an old horn

I recently bought a vintage bari sax. It is in very good overall condition, except that the original owner had attached a stand collar to the bell at some time in the past. When he removed it years later, there was not only a slight difference in the patina of the exposed lacquer as compared to the covered lacquer (to be expected), but there was also some form of surface corrosion that left a pretty unsightly "rusty" look to the part that had been covered by the collar. That part was then polished with a jewler's cloth of some type - which got rid of most of the corrosion, but left a bright, shiny patch. I've had it examined and am told that the "bright shiny" patch is the original lacquer (or at least a layer of the original lacquer -- it looks like it would have looked new). My question is: without doing any damage to the lacquer or body itself, is there a way to "darken" the shiny patch so that it looks more like (and blends with) the 45-year old patina on the rest of the horn? Like with a hair dryer, or ultra violet light, or what?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: "Aging" polished lacquer on an old horn

If you have a "bright shiny patch", I'd say that the full layer of lacquer was removed and now you are seeing bare brass. Over time it will darken and match better with the rest of the area. It will then become darker than the surrounding area that still has lacquer on it. All depends on the lacquer color. Unfortunately, the only thing I can think of is to try to find some spray paint that will match. Maybe if it's lightly applied it will do the trick. Perhaps if you time it right, you can apply some clear lacquer on top of it about the time it matches the surrounding area. Could take months or a year or more for that to happen. I have no idea if it would work to "seal the patina", but anything's possible. Personally, I'd just leave it alone.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

19 years ago

go find some "black max" hehehe when was the polishing done? if it's brass, just leave it out in the open for a few months and most likely it will blend in better. hmmmm or get some "liver of Sulfur" and apply JUST A LITTLE to the area (f it's bare brass) that would also do the trick.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

19 years ago

If you even get within a mile of that horn and intend on using spray paint, i will call the police. Or maybe a hitman to take you out. Seriously though, that is gonna be one of the things you are better of leaving as-is

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by s9ast
          (8 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks folks. I have no intention of spray painting, spray lacquering, or any such thing (If I did that, I think it would be time to commit myself to some mental institution). This really is a shame (that the collar was put on and the damage it left) because otherwise it is in exceptional shape.

Reply To Post

2. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

Another reason to leve it as is. think of it as a conversation starter... "why's your axe got the odd ring on it there?"... "Well funny you should ask"...

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM