Saxophone Forum

by woutanh
(19 posts)
19 years ago

advice concerning bari saxes.

... i am mainly play tenor... but due to the amount of seniors graduating this year, i am playing bari sax in the symphonic winds ensamble. i have a choice of two school bari's that need some desperate TLC...i am planning on buying a decent mouthpeice, probable a meyer 5 or 6... but i don't know what to do about the lousy saxes.. i would buy my own... but thats too expensive. should i invest ina school instrument that others will benefit from too? *worried about crappy saxes in MA* red

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mojocoggo
    (97 posts)

19 years ago

Re: advice concerning bari saxes.

That is pretty much my situation.... You could try contacting small companies that make decent saxophones like saxophone.com and ask for a donation of some sort... I talked to them and they offered to let us by a baritone sax for half price in exchange for advertising space on our marching band trailer. Just how bad of shape are the saxes in? Are they cheesy Selmer USA's or Jupiter? The one I play is really busted up and I had to use a paperclip to form an arm for the low C# pad.... It's quite a disaster....

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by baronvonmeskel
      (17 posts)

19 years ago

Why doesn't your band director pay to get the horns fixed? Over the years I've played many high school and college-owned horns, some are good and some are crap. However, I would never personally pay for something that the school should pay for (unless it was messed up because of my negligence). Band directors do have budgets for these things. However, if I was going to spend money, I would try to get one of my own (if you plan on playing after high school). A Yamaha is a great buy for the $.

Reply To Post

2. by woutanh
      (19 posts)

19 years ago

..well... actually two are just your basuc selmer... no low A... and sound crappy. the shiny one ( it's pretty) is really really out of tune... infact it's perpetually flat. it sounds terrible... but i think this is because the tubing of the neck thing is pretty much destroyed... the other one.. it has a horrible upper register, it sounds so strained. it also is very slow to respond, so i don't like playing that one. there is another one .. a "VSP" ( aka mr devious, it has low A) ( yes i named all the saxophones... i'm not crazy... just sax nut) it's a pro model... it's the nicest... but it also has issues... unforunatly lucy already staked her claim on that one. our music department is broke as of right now.. and they might get all three fixed over the summer... IF IF IF the buget is big enough...we have to be really cheap for a few years.. we're going to california to compete when i'm a junior (2) years.. so i doubt that they will be fixed by next year. we don't have a marching band.. so the advertisement thing won't work... ( our football team is all of 4 years old) i think i'm pretty stuck... with one of the lousy selmers.... so any suggestions on mouthpieces... i personally like meyer 5 & 6 ( i have those for both my tenor and alto.) i'm a selmer girl...i haven't heard wonderful things about yamahas. thanks all * sees a glimmer of hope * red

Reply To Post AIM

1. by baronvonmeskel
        (17 posts)

19 years ago

Well, sorry to hear about the dismall state of your music program. I know it is always hard because it seems like there is never enough funding. I really do suggest bugging your band teacher about it. Also, having many baris that don't work is worse than having ONE that does work. See if he would be interested in selling all but the best horn and putting the money from selling the others into fixing the one. Remind him (and I am biased beacause I'm a bari player) that a good sounding bari REALLY helps a saxophone section. In my opinion, the only seat more important than bari is the lead alto. However, if you have no luck getting him/her to get any of the horns fixed and you are willing to bite the bullet yourself, I would take all three to a skilled repair man and tell him you have a limited budget and would like to make one of the horns in decent working condition. Sometimes you would be surprised that a simple adjustment or fixing a couple of jacked up pads can actually make a huge differance. You could check on getting the neck fixed one the one (however if the tubing connection to the neck it out of whack it could get costly). Now this is just a guess based on no info, but the horn that has a bad upper register might just have something leaking in the register mechanism. I've had that problem before and it was a quick and cheap fix. Also, a lot of times the G# key can not be lifting properly and can make the upper register weird. Sometimes, it can also just be the upper end of the horn being out of alignment, which can be a 30 second fix in the hands of a skilled repairman (often times they won't even charge you a cent if this is the case). So, there are some things to think abou. Also, see if you could share horns with the other bari player. I did this for a little while in high school. Each player has their own mouthpiece and reed setup and they just coordinate who gets the horn at differant times. This of course doesn't work if you are both playing in the same ensemble (like wind symphony or something). Well, best of luck to you. I hope it works out.

Reply To Post

1. by woutanh
          (19 posts)

19 years ago

yes thanks... there are three school horns.. and there will be two bari's in the jazz band next year... me and another girl... so we can't use the same horn at the same time. but...i'm fixed one of them already this year.. not wonderfully.. .but got it so that we don't have to use a hair elastic to keep the posts on. i'm thinking i'm gonna fix one of the selmers... hopefully thats 'll work... our music department has a huge buget... but we ended up using most of it to go to virginia to compete in the busch gardens music in that parks. we got all gold and silvers... excellent and superior ratings...and thats when half of the bands couldn't make it...hence i played fist chair tenor.. .when i'm technically am not even in the jazz band this year. any way.. thanks for the advice... it's helped me figure out what to do.. in a way...;o) red

Reply To Post AIM

2. by spifster
          (67 posts)

19 years ago

About a bari that's eternally flat... We had a bari, a intermediate level Yamaha, that was just like that, played everything nearly a half-pitch flat, until one day it got dropped right on the tubing between the neck and the body... it had bent in to almost half of the original size, but it began to play almost perfectly in tune. I'm not sure how that worked, but it did. I don't advise trying this, and if you do, don't blame me if it doesn't fix anything.

Reply To Post

3. by woutanh
          (19 posts)

19 years ago

haha...thanks anyway.. i don't htink i'm gonna try that either... though i'm so frusterated with it right now i might just dump it in a lake and run...or perhaps off a bridge...maybe a tall building... my band director would have to buy me a new one then! ;o) ~red

Reply To Post AIM