Saxophone Forum

by saxcat
(1 post)
19 years ago

Cannonball Saxophones

I'm thinking about buying a Cannonball Saxophone. There are different kinds (Mad Meg, Raven, etc), and I really want to know how they differ. I here they're all really AWESOME! All comments and suggestions are welcome. Please let me know what you think! Thanks in advance!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Cannonball Saxophones

in both the eqquipment forums, and the general discussion forums are some VERY VERY long threads on those horns, give them a read. I think the new ones are pretty darn good!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by saxman124
    (6 posts)

19 years ago

I think you are making a good choice. I went to a local music store with the intention of trying out the Ref 54 from Selmer. The owner of the store kept pushing and pushing for me to try the Cannonball. I tried the Selmer Series III and Ref 54. I also tried the Cannonball regular gold laquer and the Mad Meg (unlaquered). Without a doubt I decided I was switching all my saxophones to Cannonball. The selling point for me was how easy the altissimos come out. They just scream without any of the extra work with other brands.

Reply To Post

3. by saxdudeone
    (1 post)

19 years ago

I think you are making a GREAT choice saxcat! I have a 2004 Cannonball Big Bell Global Series Alto SLS model and I love it. All registers just POP OUT with very little ease I can play any dynamic from bursting fortissimo to low Bb sub-tones. They truely are great horns, although I had to play on a lot of them to find the one that suited me they all are just wonderful. When I was trying them out, I nit picked all of them to find the perfect horn for me. I highly suggest you do the same. I really dont think there is any significant difference in their playing caracteristics except the fact that they have different looks to them (Mad Meg, SLS, B-Ice....etc.). I have found that some of them might have a few "bad notes" (have edge on certain notes) on them, BUT if you play on a few of them you will find that they ALL play exactly the same. The only thing, is finding that perfect horn. Just remember, when you are trying them out its not how they look that matters its how they play and sound that really counts.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by huesax
    (2 posts)

19 years ago

Saxcat, you are definitely in the right direction. The only horn that I ever owned that can compare to the Cannonball alto (black nickel plated /silver keys) is the 1968 Selmer Mark VI, and even it cannot do some of the things I can do on the Cannonball. Altissimo; no problem, lush sub-tones; no problem, fast difficult passages, no problem, the feel is extremely comfortable. It reminds me somewaht of the VI, yamaha custom, and guardala all wrapped into one horn. You gotta' give them a serious once over. You will be pleasantly surprised. Cannonball has their act together.

Reply To Post