Saxophone Forum

by dfwsaxdude
(8 posts)
19 years ago

To Sheryl and Tevis Laukat

What can I say....BRAVO!!!! Your product is HANDS DOWN the finest saxophone I've ever played. I've owned Selmers and Keilwerths, and I say without reservation that the Cannonball is the "Rolls Royce" of saxophones. I currently own the Mad Meg alto, and the Raven Alto and Tenor and am extremely happy with all of them. The smoothness and responsiveness is absolutely unreal! Several of my students have switched to the Cannonball, and I now start my beginning students on the Excalibur - wouldn't let 'em play nuthin' else! Again you guys, thanks so much for your awesome contribution to the saxpohone world, and your uncompromising committment to excellence. Best of luck with the Big Bell Trumpet! Most Sincerely, William Owens Fort Worth, TX

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: To Sheryl and Tevis Laukat

Well, Keilwerth is apparently having financial trouble. and Selmer is really turning to shit! The Yamaha's are good quality with a "ho hum" sound. (personally, I think the Yamahas are pretty neutral. They can scream with the right set up) No wonder why the Cannonballs are becoming more popular! Their quality control needs some improving though.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

19 years ago

As Cannonballs and the new Selmer Omega series are both made in the same Taiwan factory (with some subtle design differences) - my crystal ball tells me that there's another merger in the midst. YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST! EVEN IF I'M TOTALLY WRONG!!! Looked at a new Omega alto a couple days ago - didn't have my mpc, so I haven't played it yet. Nice looking horn with engraving on the neck - quite stylish (except for the MADE IN TAIWAN under the serial number). The Omega has the bigger bell like Cannonball is going with. "Who's got the biggest.... bells of them all!?!?!" I'm guessing the La Voix is from the same line, but there wasn't one there to do a side-by-side.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I wouldn't be a bit surprised, sax maniac. SaxyJeff, I fail to see where my comment should be offensive in any way. I have said many times throughout this forum that Cannonball saxophones have continued to impress me, and I feel that the overall quality has improved considerably over the past couple years. I was also impressed that Sheryl took the time to respond to the Cannonball discussion. I DO think that quality control is an issue with Cannonball saxophones though, because I have played some horns that played very well and some that did not. I am speaking from my personal experience. Thank you, Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by dfwsaxdude
        (8 posts)

19 years ago

Gentlemen - Gentlemen.... We're all entitled to our opinions and they all carry a degree of merit, but let's not be indignant with each other. We're all friends here and this is a great message board. While we don't always have to agree, let's at least be respectful and tolerant of the insights of others. Personally, I really like hearing about all the different preferences of saxophone. These opinions have prompted me to go out and try all the different brands, and here's what I've discovered: There is no right or wrong instrument - the sax that works for you is the one you will endorse. For me, it just happens to be the Cannonball. Say what you will of it, but that's just my take on it. Selmer - Keilwerth - Yamaha.....they're all great - but Cannonball is the best (to me)! Keep playing great and keep the peace!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

If Cannonball would move production to Utah instead of Taiwan, and tighten up quality control, I think they would be, without question THE BEST SAXOPHONE ON THE MARKET! The last 2 saxophones I played from Cannonball really impressed me. I would like to try one of their new silver tenors. I tried a silver alto a couple months ago now that I really liked. In fact, I couldn't put it down! It was the closest thing to a King Super 20 Silversonic I have ever played. If I could find a tenor like that I would probably buy it! If it was US made.....in a heartbeat!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by kesslermusic
      (8 posts)

19 years ago

While I personally am not a Cannonball supporter (mainly due to price) I can say that they are a good horn. A point of clarification though: The Salmer LaVoix & Omegas are the same horn made from different alloys (Omega: Brass | LaVoix: RedBrass). They are NOT the same horns as the Cannonballs. They do come from different factories. The factory that the Selmers are bought from is the same factory that makes Antigua's horns and they are the same design as Antigua's "Power Bell" Series. Just thought a clarification would help.

Reply To Post