Saxophone Forum

by kamc
(1 post)
19 years ago

Conn baritone saxaphone "naked lady" information

Hello, I inherited a saxaphone with the following information engraved on it and was wondering if someone could help me decipher the serial numbers and give me an idea of the value. Thanks. Engraved in front of the bell is "MADE-BY ELKHART-IND. C.G. CONN LTD. U.S.A. w/ a NAKED LADY" engraved. The lower back of the sax has several engravings. The first is "PATD. DEC. 3, 1914", followed by "1119954", then "B", and then "M259042", and finally "L".

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Conn baritone saxaphone "naked lady" information

That would be a transitional model Baritone, or an early "12M", these were often referred to as a "Mulligan". The serial number indicates that it was made in 1933 (www.drrick.com/conn.html The patent number is for the rolled tone holes. The "M" in the serial number is for saxophone and was used int the mid 1920's-Mid 1930's. The letter M also signified 1969 as the year of manufacture on later Conns, but these horns did not have the patent date. These are highly sought after baritone saxophones, and they are quite valuable. If the horn is complete, without dings or any damage, it should be worth $1200-$1500 even needing an overhaul. In good condition and playable, this sax could be worth $2500-$3000 or more easily, depending on the condition of the lacquer, etc.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by eman19
      (131 posts)

19 years ago

hey jim you should just get one post started that lists all of the serial numbers for Conn, Buescher, and Martin.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I have done that before eman19. It's buried on here somewhere. Just go to www.drrick.com and look under the serial numbers. You will find links for several different makes of horn.

Reply To Post Yahoo!