Saxophone Forum

by syrasax
(75 posts)
19 years ago

Sax Set-up

I've heard the phrase used but I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on what specifically happens to the sax, are they different for an alto, tenor or bari, why you do it and what should the end result be. Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Sax Set-up

your set up is the combination of what type reed/mouthpiece/ligature/neck/and horn you use

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by syrasax
      (75 posts)

19 years ago

I must have misunderstood then because I've heard "set-up" used to describe a process by which the horn is adjusted in some way and that's what I was hoping to learn more about. I've heard people say things like "Oh you need to make sure that so and so sets up your horn, he's the best" and so forth. Or am I way off base?

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

19 years ago

nah, you're on we use it for that also. my origional response is just how we use it most often. Often when buying a new horn, it needs to be adjusted some and regulated slightly, this setting up is worth having done. What the guy will do is make sure pad heights are adjusted properly, pads seat right, and generally just put it in perfect playing height

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by syrasax
          (75 posts)

19 years ago

Cool. Thanks.

Reply To Post

2. by Spike
        (248 posts)

19 years ago