Saxophone Forum

by CultureOfOne
(4 posts)
19 years ago

WARNING SAXOPHONE TEACHERS: EMAIL SCAM

Hello fellow saxophone teachers, I am posting to warn you about a recent scam email being perpertrated on saxophone teachers listed in online databases (including SaxQuest). I and other teachers listed have been contacted by a person supposedly seeking lessons for their children. The basic nature of the scam is they offer to pay you via certified cheque for more than the amount of your fee, as long as you will immediately forward the balance to a third party. Rest assured, the cheque will bounce, and you will be out the balance. THIS IS AN OLD SCAM, BUT IT HAS ONLY RECENTLY BEEN DIRECTED AT US. It is my hope we can stem the tide by exposing this now. If you have information that may be of aid to the police in this matter, I encourage you to contact them. Let's eliminate this kind of abuse from our community! Greg Marks Culture Of One Music Services -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Below is the repeated text of the message (with the random names replaced). Sorry about the lack of formatting. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Dear (your name), i am looking for an experienced, friendly teacher who can teach in saxophone playing, technical work and basic theory as for beginners.I will need the following questions to be sure that i get the best learning environment for my children and also make sure that the teacher is right for them.. 1.Provide me with more details about yourself and 2.Cost of the programs(the tuition fees for 8 week programs, 2 Hours teaching each Day five Times 2 Weeks). I will arrange for the room and nearby your location,guardian and visas to come down for the program.Perhaps they're learning the saxophone because they're going for international studies as a programs in school that entails them to be able to know how to playing saxophone and this will be an added advantage to them if they could improve their saxophone playing it would be better.At the beginning i will need you to teach them in a creative environment, and aim to provide a thorough technical grounding, and to encourage full musical expression.I will want to know if you are emphasize on this, then I can arrange for the payment immedaitely.Please tell me what else do you need to know. Full details about the children below....... 1.Name - XXXXX & XXXXXX XXXXXXXXX 2.Age - 16 & 17 3.Study 4.Hobbies/Interests/Talents - Singing 5. Present Level – Beginners 6. Previous knowledge - schools 7. The rate their skills/abilities in the following areas - fair 8. I will prefer small group courses 9.Begin - July Awaiting your respond.Have a great day. XXXXXXXXXXX..

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Quartertone
    (7 posts)

19 years ago

Re: WARNING SAXOPHONE TEACHERS: EMAIL SCAM

I just got one too. The person used the name Peter Olsen, but the exact words as the the quote. Thanks for posting this. I just read about this a couple of days ago and was informed when I got the email. Lets see if he'll send me the money... What an idiot.

Reply To Post

2. by CultureOfOne
    (4 posts)

17 years ago

WARNING SAXOPHONE TEACHERS: EMAIL SCAM RETURNS!

It's ba-ack. I encountered another fishing expedition recently. This one's using the form submission system on the saxquest.com teachers database, so it should be easier to track down. Here is a sample: From: Date: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:00:52 AM America/Halifax To: Subject: Saxquest.com Teacher Listing Form Submission First Name: james Last Name: smith Email Address: [email protected] Day Phone: - Night Phone: - Student Needs: Goodday to you over there,i am JAMES MARKSMITH, I need a private tutors for my daughter (JENNIFER),i got your advert while surfing through the internet and i really want my duaghter to be taught by you.JENNIFER is 18 year old and easily catch up.Although,i understand you are in your area, but i've arranged with my cousin sister living there, that my duaghter is coming to stay with her for the period of tutoring and she had agreed with me,I want you to get back to me with following details... 1)your present residence address and telephone number 2)total cost of tutoring for 2 months(1 hours per day thrice in week) 3)your years of teaching experience. Payment by UK CHEQUE,looking forward to hearing from you soonest. Regards I expect you'll all encounter the same basic message (with the names changing once in a while, if the CAPS are any indicator of the form being used). If this isn't enought to tip you off, remember that all of the info he's requesting is readily available if the guy took the time to do his homework, either by way of reading the database entry or accessing my webpage/googling me. I decided to test him with the following response: From: Culture Of One Music Date: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:15:26 AM America/Halifax To: [email protected] Subject: re: private lessons Hello Mr. Marksmith Before I can proceed with this query, I will require an address and telephone number for yourself, as well as a name, address, and local phone number for your relative here (where Jennifer will be staying). You see, people have used this database for a scam in the past, in an attempt to extort banking information, using much the same request as you have just sent. Please understand, it's nothing personal, but if I cannot verify your identity, and if I cannot talk to your local contact first to confirm your story, then this request gets reported immediately to saxquest.com as fraudulent, and your contact information will be tracked by the authorities. I must protect not only myself and my business, but my other students and my colleagues on saxquest as well. Once we have this unpleasant (but necessary) preliminary security check out of the way, then we can proceed. I look forward to hearing from you shortly, Greg Marks proprietor, Culture Of One Music Services Needless to say, he never responded, hence this post. If it were a legit query, he would have welcomed my efforts to protect my students (as it means I'd be diligent in protecting his daughter as well). The short of it is, don't give them any financial info or enough data to allow them to usurp your identity, and you should be fine. If anybody else has a problem with this or any other "fisherman" please post the info here, including variations on the form letter, to ensure that all of our colleagues are protected. Best regards, Greg Marks proprietor, Culture Of One Music Services

Reply To Post

3. by phynyx
    (1 post)

17 years ago

Yes, this scam is back with a new variation. It is now from a variation of one that was used on golf teachers a few years ago. Here is the original and reply email I received. First Name: Gerhard Last Name: Louis Email Address: [email protected] Day Phone: Night Phone: Student Needs: Dear Teacher, I am pleased to contact you, My name is Gerhard Louis, from Brugge in Belgium. I saw your profile as a registered teacher, hence, my purpose of contacting you. I just mail to confirm if my 12yrs old/ 7th grade twins (Paul & Peter), can join your class so that you can help me offer them lesson based on your experience. I so much would love their dreams to come true as they will love to become the best player and I am ready to support them morally and financially. I will like you to give me the price of the tutor per hour for my two sons. Note that they once had a teacher, who lost his wife in a car accident and decided to stop teaching in order to take proper care of his family. We are presently out of state, but arrangement have been concluded for Paul & Peter to come to Colorado. Awaiting your swift response. Best Regards, Gerhard Louis. Dear Shawn McPeek, Thanks for your prompt response and for your readiness to work with my sons. They have elementary education and speak good English, no disability, they are beginners (just enrolled for two weeks with the other teacher); I mentioned this in my first email. At the moment I want them to learn for 6 months and thereafter we shall know what next line of action would be but definitely they should go further. Paul & Peter are ready when you are and I am equally ready to give all my support. I discuss this with a teacher here and she would suggest twice a week lesson for kids like Paul and Peter, so I want us to settle for this unless you mentioned otherwise. I will like you to give me the specific address (your home) where lessons shall be holding as I have to send it to my cousin Steve that stay in your location and he shall be driving Paul & Peter to and fro the lessons location before and after each class, though he is presently out of state to Australia but he should be back any moment from now and will come together with my sons for the first lesson. Meanwhile, the fees is no problem, please let me know the total cost for the six months (an hour twice a week) and kindly send to me the name to write on your check, the address to send it to and your phone number(s)/cell#. I guess a US bank certified check is alright. Finally, my sons will be ready to leave here the moment am able to conclude this arrangement with you, that is finding a good teacher for them. Like I said, I am presently living in Belgium due to work. I travel a lot and would like to conclude the whole arrangement before my sons would come down; only Paul and Peter would be coming down and will stay with my cousin. It is good for me to send the payment to you from here as soon as I have the details from you, I will do just that and the children will commence with the lesson immediately. You may reach me on 0032485718853 should you have any question(s). Looking forward to receiving your swift response. Best Regards, Gerhard Louis.

Reply To Post

4. by saxamaphone83
    (2 posts)

17 years ago

I have been contacted by "Gerhard Louis", also. I googled the phone number "he" gave me and it came up with this link: www.lpga.com/content/Nancy_Letter_Scam6-07.pdf Apparently the same people conducted a scam against golf instructors, as well. I hope that no one is trusting enough to get caught up in this scam. It is a real shame that we have to worry about things like this nowadays. Best of luck to everyone.

Reply To Post

5. by berin
    (1 post)

19 years ago

I have also been approached by this scam. Though I knew it sounded too good to be true, I decided to try to find out for sure. After three times telling them that I can only accept payment for the correct amount at the time of service, they keep pretending not to understand and insisting I give info to them so they can give me a check for over the amount. My question is, what can we do to stop this fraud? Has anyone reported this to authorities? I'll check into it myself, though I don't know where to begin. The name and address they are writing to me with is Dorothy Steven at [email protected]. She's allegedly from Belgium. Berin Stephens - Alaska

Reply To Post

1. by lejazzhotsax
      (15 posts)

19 years ago

They must be using the saxquest teachers info. I got pinged by the same email. Gordon Tokishi - Hawaii

Reply To Post

1. by Gordon Tokishi808
        (1 post)

16 years ago

OMG

Reply To Post

2. by lejazzhotsax
        (15 posts)

19 years ago

BTW, thanks for the warning, Greg. They didn't get to the other part of the scam yet. Just the initial contact. Seemed really strange to me.

Reply To Post

1. by lejazzhotsax
          (15 posts)

19 years ago

BTW, the name she used for me was "Jane K. Grover" I hope we can get her. Gordon Tokishi - Hawaii

Reply To Post

2. by lejazzhotsax
          (15 posts)

19 years ago

Get this one, gang. I informed this party that she was suspected of being a scam and to send verifying information about who she is. then informed me that "he" was a respectable businessman and that he had sent a certified check in excess of the amount and to please pay his attorney the difference between the amount and the lessons. Yeah, right!!! Thanks for bringing all this to our attention. He even demanded an apology for insulting him. Mind you, he still didn't give any verifying information. A guy named Jane??? Thanks again for the warning!

Reply To Post

3. by tekx13
          (1 post)

19 years ago

I also have been scammed I am glad I found this posting....I have been saving the emails and I kept asking to get everything in writing before excepting the check, but she/he known has Jane K. Grover was always dodging the subject. I appreciate this posting to be up more people need to know. if someone reads this please e-mail on what I should do or who I should contact to help catch this person.

Reply To Post

3. by jomores16
        (1 post)

19 years ago

I reported the scam to the authorities, although they will not do anything because the amount is so little. Maybe if we get everyone contacted by this scam, and anyone who has been taken by this scam to report it the local police we can try to get these people or person arrested or something, to prevent this from happening. if any one would like to contact me call 917-855-5041 My name is John

Reply To Post

1. by stouph
          (1 post)

19 years ago

The name used to contact me in my case is Joe Bernie so watch out for that name also. Email adresses used are: [email protected], [email protected] and [email protected]. I've received phone calls from Nigeria so this seems to be one of many scams originating from that country. If you have been scammed report it to the FBI via this site: www.ifccfbi.gov/index.asp Stephan

Reply To Post

1. by bmcguire
            (45 posts)

19 years ago

Yes they tried to get me too. I'm good, but nobody is going to send thier kids overseas to study with me... They could send him/her to juliard eastman etc... I always screw with them and go along with it..

Reply To Post

1. by lejazzhotsax
              (15 posts)

19 years ago

If you want them to get off your back, just tell them to go ahead and send you the check and you'll cheerfully pay anyone after the check clears but not before. That usually stops all correspondence right away. I never heard from them again.

Reply To Post

2. by CultureOfOne
              (4 posts)

19 years ago

Hello all, Glad to hear nobody has been ripped off by this. I just wanted to make a comment with regards to the "name" of the offender: remember that the name provided in the email is fake, and often the name of another saxophone teacher from the database, or of another innocent victim. Please don't disparage Jane K Grover: she helped me crack this scam open! The REAL Jane K Grover is a very professional saxophone instructor in PA, who has herself been scammed by the same people, and who provided me with enough information to confirm where the names were coming from. They contacted her under the name Joe Bernie, also a saxophone instructor whose name was stolen for this scam. She was kind enough to provide her entire correspondence so I could confirm my suspicions. She was particularly disturbed by the fact that her name was being used. Similarly, I ask you not to direct any callous remarks at any of the other names used by the perpetrator(s); chances are, you are slinging mud at another victim, and I would hate for anybody's reputation to be sullied unjustly. As a general rule, before you make an attack, consider this: how would you feel if such an accusation were leveled at you? This is the web: hasty comments have a way of hanging around forever, and will continue to show up in web searches for years to come. Please find a way to redirect your ire at the perpetrator(s) to avoid any friendly-fire incidents. It might even be worth your while, if you have made a stinging remark previously, to go back and place a retraction so that people conducting web searches in the future won't get inaccurate information. The last thing we want to do is undermine each other. Many thanks, Greg Marks Culture Of One Music Services

Reply To Post

3. by lejazzhotsax
              (15 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks, Greg, for all the info. Humble apologies to Jane K. Grover, the real one. Thanks for bringing this to light. I actually received one of this scam artist's "certified checks" for $6000 with instructions to forward a large portion of it to her "personal assistant". When I asked for more detailed info like emergency contact numbers, addresses, and name, address and the contact info of her attorney, all communications stopped. Mahalo, Gordon Tokishi - Hawaii

Reply To Post

4. by bmcguire
              (45 posts)

18 years ago

I love screwing with these guys! I go along with the whole thing, and then blow them off! It's great, I have this one joker who speaks like no English except "you send $2000 to my assistant!" he gets that part...

Reply To Post

5. by Sax Mom
              (964 posts)

17 years ago

Since the request arrives by email, it shoul be reported to: [email protected] No guarantee...

Reply To Post