Saxophone Forum

by kitnachi
(41 posts)
19 years ago

Big Band

My Highschool has more of a big band Jazz band, anybody got any cool sounding favorites a suggestions for future tunes??

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Spike
    (248 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Big Band

my hs did RUSH by yoko kano one year.

Reply To Post

1. by barimachine
      (323 posts)

19 years ago

thats awesome! i wanna play rush or tank so badly

Reply To Post

1. by Spike
        (248 posts)

19 years ago

or What Planet is This?

Reply To Post

1. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

19 years ago

ive never found an arangement of that i wish i could and i dont feel like writing it

Reply To Post

2. by CajunSax
        (76 posts)

19 years ago

not really 'big band' more of a crossover, but some of the older Stevie Wonder is pretty hip. My hs did "Sir Duke" - Sax part is of course fun, but can the t-bone's keep up? The bridge was always tricky for the trumpets too...my sax section was always tight and on top of it...ya dig? Some good suggestions on this thread. I didnt know if anyone mentioned "Take 5" or "A Train" - some classic swingin stuff

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by EL Seano
        (255 posts)

19 years ago

You'd probably like to get some standards first- -TuxedoJunction, Four Brothers, Hay Burner Cottontail Groove Merchant and probably some comtemporary/Latin/etc. stuff Jalapeno Dreams, Layover In San Juan Moondance Hope this helps! EL SEANO

Reply To Post

1. by kitnachi
          (41 posts)

19 years ago

Our band plays groove merchant and moondance, which are really good songs. So if the other songs are similar in taste it will probably do well with out band, I wouldn't be surprised if it showed up in our library. Plus our band almost has a thing for latin charts.

Reply To Post AIM

4. by cammes
        (16 posts)

19 years ago

Bob Curnow is awsome try Minuano the best song. Also The First Cricle a hard tune but my hs band managed to play that and minuano.

Reply To Post

5. by BOFFER!
        (5 posts)

19 years ago

some very good standarts: In the mood Perdido My little Suede Shoes Walking home with brother Bill Getting on with it

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Some good suggestions. I'd like to add a couple of my favorites. Sing Sing Sing A-Train Satin Doll String of Pearls

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by EL Seano
            (255 posts)

19 years ago

And I'd like to add some more! September In the Rain The Way You Look Tonight Cherry Juice I'm Beginning to See The Light Smack Dab In the Middle

Reply To Post

1. by YanagisawA-901
              (312 posts)

19 years ago

2 big band style pieces that ive played that may or may not be of "quality" or grade that u want, but are FUN as hell to play if ur a good band: -Omaha -Weekend in Monaco

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by golferguy675
              (600 posts)

19 years ago

You want something really fun? Pull up some Gordon Goodwin stuff. I would reccommend Hunting Wabbits or Jazz Police. Both could be very impressive from a highschool if you guys could get it down. One thing about Hunting Wabbits, is that you have to have a strong trombone section, which a lot of highschool bands don't. There's also an important soprano part, but you could substitute it with a clarinet if no one has one.

Reply To Post

3. by barimachine
              (323 posts)

19 years ago

haha we did both those charts this year they're both good ...except jazz police gets annoying after 10000000000 times

Reply To Post

4. by kitnachi
              (41 posts)

19 years ago

It has a SOPRANO PART!! YESH!!! Even though I play bari in jazz band, I wanted to get some use out of the soprano I have at home.

Reply To Post AIM

5. by syrasax
              (75 posts)

19 years ago

You can't go wrong with a Sinatra medley either . . . In The Wee Small Hours The Lady is a Tramp New York, New York (although I now loathe this song, the audience will LOVE it)

Reply To Post

6. by SaxMan88
              (318 posts)

19 years ago

Some mentioned "Moondance", Make sure you have a (or some) strong first tenor players. We're doing this song at Music In the Parks in Dorney Park this Saturday for judging along with "Evil Ways". But our first tenor has had a hard time with the first tenor solo w/ first trumpet, so the director has decided to let me do it. I had filled in for her during rehersals when she was not there and I guess he liked what he heard. But the harmonies in Moondance can really come out if you have some strong tenor 1's. Good luck!

Reply To Post

7. by johnsonfromwisconsin
              (767 posts)

19 years ago

Front Burner Sing, Sing, Sing! Moonlight Serenade In the Mood

Reply To Post

8. by martysax
              (148 posts)

19 years ago

LazyBird Moten Swing Birdland Better Git Hit in your Soul..............

Reply To Post

9. by stray dog
              (16 posts)

19 years ago

I would suggest anything by Sammy Nestico. A few favorites are Dark Orchid, Willow Gold, but there are many more.

Reply To Post

10. by golferguy675
              (600 posts)

19 years ago

There's a Better Get Hit In Your Soul big band chart? Play that. I played it in a few small group settings at some gigs, audiences love it.

Reply To Post

11. by YanagisawA-901
              (312 posts)

19 years ago

i may be playing a sammy nestico tune this upcoming year in jazz.. im playing lead and i asked my teacher if i could play "Samantha" and he sed he would consider if the rest of the band is up to par.. woo! haha.. my school played it once on our cd.. we have 2 cd's out and on the 2nd one samantha was done.. along with many others.. Hank Levey tunes are confusing yet fun.. he was a great friend of my schools way back when along with Mark Taylor.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

12. by barimachine
              (323 posts)

19 years ago

Hank levy is cool... ish he can write amazingly in odd meters... but sometimes theres no REAL point to doing so I HATE MARK TAYLOR he could be a nice enough guy but ive only played maybe 1 or 2 of his songs that make me not want to die granada smoothie is the worst song...

Reply To Post