Saxophone Forum

by mark7
(30 posts)
19 years ago

mystery conn usa - question for jim?

a friend of mine recently gave me a CONN USA 22M tenor sax to sell for him. heres the question? 1. is this the mexiconn? theres no N prefix before the serial no. Were the N prefixes discontinued? 2. the bell keys are on the right side. I have been informed that there were "Fakes" coming out of taiwan . Anyways i told them i would be hard pressed to sell it even if is an "authentic" mexiconn.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: mystery conn usa - question for jim?

The Conn 22M is one of the later student model Conn tenors. They were made in the US after Daniel Henkin bought Conn from MacMillan and moved the company back to Elkhart. The N prefix is for 1970. By the end of 1969, MacMillan had closed the Elkhart factory and moved production to Nogales, AZ. A couple years later, they moved production across the border. This horn was probably made in the late 80's or early 90's. It's basically an updated version of the 16M Director's model. The new 37M is made in Taiwan as is some of the newer student model Selmers and many of the less expensive horns sold by Conn Selmer. I did play a 37M a week ago though, and for the money, I was impressed. The 22M is not a particularly valuable horn. Even in good condition, $600-$750 is top dollar. They're actually a pretty good student instrument though. Good Luck!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by mark7
      (30 posts)

19 years ago

thanks man, 'preciate the info. mark

Reply To Post

2. by jon henri
    (19 posts)

11 years ago

a mexiconn has mexico stamped on it, some say the n in the serial number=nogales mexico, in there serial numbers the n means 1970- P= 1971 -R= 1972. the mexiconns have bad reputation and saying its got thinner metal. myth. i have a mexiconn in my collection, it has a NEMC rental engraving on it. i think this thing is a tank and has big sound, never did a-b test. read a review about the nemc conns had to be able to handle what ever a band student could dish out, and they all got rebuilt at the end of their contract. so anyways depending on its condition it could only get about $150.00-300.00 tops, still a better unit than some of these chinese sax's. sorry for any repeats.
    so whats the serial number 000xxx 

Reply To Post