Saxophone Forum

by saxman1990
(25 posts)
19 years ago

Do I really need a high F# key on a new soprano saxophone ?

Hey gang, I have played Tenor for a long time but I would like to start on the soprano here shortly and I wondered if I really need a high F# key. What exactly will that key get me? Also what do you thing would be the best value for $600 in a new student model. I realize I'm going to get what I pay for and don't expect Selmer sound for this $. Thanks for your reply and any info you can send my way.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jaggtagg7
    (40 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Do I really need a high F# key on a new soprano saxophone ?

i just bought an antigua soprano sax. i had it shipped here from their place in texas and the store that finally sold it to me sold it for 740$. its an 586... check it out on kesslermusic.com under their specialty antigua section.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Saxon
    (100 posts)

19 years ago

My Buescher soprano doesn't have a high F# or even an E. I find it really annoying as many songs seem to use F# a lot and you have to drop down instead of going up or harmonize but You'll get used to it!

Reply To Post

3. by kitnachi
    (41 posts)

19 years ago

I got my soprano brand new off ebay it is a Schill, it has a high f# and it only cost me 200 and there is a lot of them because the store that sells them has a lot of them made so that is why they are cheap, look it up if you get a chance. but don't ever buy anything there unless it is new.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

"I got my soprano brand new off ebay it is a Schill, it has a high f# and it only cost me 200 and there is a lot of them because the store that sells them has a lot of them made so that is why they are cheap, look it up if you get a chance". B U L L S H I T!!! The reason why they are so stinkin' cheap is because they're made in China by 12 year old kids! They are made of zink, not brass, and with pewter keys and plastic pads. They fall apart in 9 months to a year! But hey, enjoy it while it lasts! "but don't ever buy anything there unless it is new." The best buys on ebay are the vintage horns, but you need to educate yourself as to what to buy, how much to spend, and what to expect. Most of the vintage horns you will find on ebay or in pawn shops are probably going to need some repair; usually a few pads and adjustments, sometimes a complete repad and overhaul. Ask questions and KNOW what you're buying. What better way to educate yourself that by reading some of the comments on this forum. I'm always here to help. Drop me an email if you have any questions. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by Sonny_Rollins
    (18 posts)

19 years ago

Man are you living in the past. Didn't you know that Selmer is coming out with a new soprano model next month with a high F#, G, G#, and even A keys?!?!?!? Its insane, but it's going to cost like $8,000 or something outragous. Anyway, I'm getting one!!!

Reply To Post

5. by saxjunkie89
    (393 posts)

19 years ago

if it's a soprano, and you love high notes, and you don't have braces to get in the way, yes...

Reply To Post

1. by rhino2104
      (15 posts)

19 years ago

It really depends on what kind of music you play. I played my old Wurlitzer sporano in ensembles in high school and never found a need for anything that high. About the most bang for your buck, I would recomend a vintage horn. They usually aren't as "pretty and shiny", but they will play better than most Chinese POS horns you can buy for the same money.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

None of the vintage horns I own have a high F#. My Keilwerth SX-90 soprano is the only horn I own with a high F#. I can see where this key would be especially usefull on a soprano. I find it easier to play altissimo on a tenor and an alto than a soprano. Some horns now even have a high G. I don't like to play that high on a soprano! They kind of sound like nails on a chalkboard when you get much above high C.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by kitnachi
          (41 posts)

19 years ago

well thats not good if it sounds like that. I really hope u are joking.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Tully
          (49 posts)

19 years ago

If you do a lot of classical soprano playing, they definitely come in handy. If you could go up to $695, kesslermusic.com sells the Antigua 582LQ at that price. I think that horn is much better than the price suggests, as do many other players, and you definitely wouldn't go wrong with it. The 582 has a one-piece body keyed to F#, the 586 has two necks (one straight, one curved) and goes to F#, and the 590 has the same two necks, but goes to G. The 586 and 590 play identically, and I hear the 582 is also pretty much the same.

Reply To Post AIM