Saxophone Forum

by JAYSAX23
(12 posts)
19 years ago

SOUNDING GREAT

I listen to people like Kenny G ,and Kirk Whalum and their sound is so pure and clear.Does anyone has any tips to how to get my sound like theirs.Thanx in advance.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by YanagisawA-901
    (312 posts)

19 years ago

Re: SOUNDING GREAT

1st and foremost dont go buyn hundreds of dollars worth of equipment before YOU have worked out as many kinks in urself as possible.. and i think the 1st thing u should look at on urself is your airflow.. it needs to be so constant and undisturbed that its scary.. my teacher has an exersize in which we take an 8" x 8" square of paper and hold it to a wall for as long as possible using proper airflow.. (thin airstream, not puffing cheeks etc.).. that helps.. always play with the same intensity as playing FFFF .. u kno how u play on triple forte or just FF?? right?? well if ur playing piano, dont sacrifice that same support and intensity.. thats all i got haha..

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by SaxMan88
      (318 posts)

19 years ago

Re: SOUNDING GREAT

Yea, most of what Yani said plus I have some tidbits of my own. Along with airflow, you have to make sure your embouchure and control are in top notch. Kenny G plays on metal pieces (I think maybe on his alto he plays on a h/r), and you can't play on a metal if you don't have control in the jaw and cheek muslces. So that's that. Your setup is also critical. Kenny G plays on Mark VI's. Chances are you're not going to find a sax that quite matches up to one of his actual Mark VI's; because we all know horns from that era were different one from the other. That's about it from me. Good luck!

Reply To Post