Saxophone Forum

by mrd
(137 posts)
19 years ago

What Tip Opening can I use

I will get many answers for this question but.... I am using a Brilhart with a .90 opening, and a Zagar equivalent to an Otto Link 7. I have seen many advise to go to the larger openings, even if I had to use a softer reed for both brightness, sound volume, and so the reed won't close up. The problem is I haven't used a larger opening and wonder if I will find I just can't get a sound from a .1, or 1.05 etc. For the advice, maybe I can get answers. thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

19 years ago

Re: What Tip Opening can I use

Try a heavier reed on your existing mpc and see if you can control it ok. A .90 is not very large .Is it alto or tenor? Link 7 is .85 on alto and 100 on tenor. If you can handle heavier reeds then try a few mpc's in your local shop but as you go up in tip size you usually have to go down in reed strength Dave

Reply To Post

1. by mrd
      (137 posts)

19 years ago

I am playing a Tenor.. I have tried a 3, and can play it but I have never tried a larger opening. If I were to pick up a 105 or 110, would I be able to play it with a soft reed, like a 1.5? Or would it still not come for me?? Thanks

Reply To Post

1. by Candyboy
        (77 posts)

19 years ago

I say go for the 110 and try a #1 reed. It will wear you out quick till you get the reed broke in. The reed is shot when it just thunks closed and you'll see that it's bent. Then try harder reeds from there. I play a Berg 110-1-M and I like Armstrong #1 reeds but that's just me.
        Doug Coffman

Reply To Post AIM

2. by saxmannwmsu
      (48 posts)

19 years ago

.90 to .105 would be a nice little jump, but it's not impossible at all. You'll need more air. It'd take some getting used to. But that's just like any other switch in equipment! I'd say, if you're going for more volume, go with a .105 and a 2 size reed.

Reply To Post AIM