Saxophone Forum

by NLadySax
(4 posts)
19 years ago

question about mouthpiece on '36 10M

I have read a lot of posts. I am a female and began playing on a clarinet because that was what girls played (back in the '60's and early 70's). I always wanted a sax. I bought a naked lady sax in dec. and have been taking lessons. The place that sold me the sax thought they were selling me a used sax. I noticed the lady and looked it up on line. The mouthpiece that came with the sax makes it play real sharp. My music teacher sold me a mouthpiece, a B&N. It sounds great. My question is...when I use it I sqeak on the higher registers. Is there something I should be doing different? Does it matter what mouthpiece we use. (from reading posts, it is). My teacher suggested I take my sax into an expert repairman and have another post added so it sits right. Any help you can provide is gratefully accepted.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: question about mouthpiece on '36 10M

Conn 10M's are very touchy. You really need a mouthpiece with a wide open chamber. I'm not familiar with B&N. It could be an adjustment problem. or emboucher. I agree, I would have it checked out. I use an Otto Link Super Tone Master metal on my Conn 10M, or a Rico Royal graftonite and both work really well. The newer Selmer and Brilhart mouthpieces don't work very well. They're too restrictive.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Candyboy
      (77 posts)

19 years ago

I have noticed that the more tip opening that is used the sharper the sax will play. It seems to work like a camshaft in an engine, more tip opening works better for the higher register, where less works better for the lower. I think that this is why you are squeaking at the higher end. I own a 10M 275xxx serial, which I believe is a 1937 sax, and the Yamaha 4c mouthpiece is what I use on it.
      Doug Coffman

Reply To Post AIM

1. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

19 years ago

I'll second a large chamber... my supertonemaster works great! but I didn't have any problems with the selmer mpcs I used for concert band... (or the other 2-4 I had back in high school)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Candyboy
          (77 posts)

19 years ago

I think that the baffle makes as much if not more differance as the chamber. The higher the baffle the brighter the tone, but this also works to make the sax very peaky. I mean a high baffle seems to make the horn respond better on the higher end of the keyed tones and not so well with the lower notes. I have a mouthpiece with such a high baffle that the subtones (Bell keys) can't be used unless the reed is totally saturated and well broken in. But then it really screams from F2 on up.
          Doug Coffman

Reply To Post AIM