Saxophone Forum

by mrd
(137 posts)
19 years ago

Berg Larsen Tenor MPCs

Can I get some advice on several questions/ First, there are a few Bergs on ebay right now, all with different openings. One is 110/1. The other is 105/2/sms Another is 90/1. First, I play a Series II which is warm, but I want a change to some brightness. What can you tell me about what I should expect between these three listed. Is the SMS going to brighter, easier to blow, harder to get used to, etc. Thanks again guys...

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Berg Larsen Tenor MPCs

With a more open tip, you'll want to use a softer reed. They do require a little more air, as the reed has more room to vibrate. If you're used to a Selmer C* facing for example, or a fairly closed facing, you'll want to start with the 90/1 probably, or a 95. A 105 or higher might be too much of a stretch. Generally, I have found that a moderate opening size and a 2 1/2 to 3 reed is the best set up for tenor. With a smaller facing size, it's hard to get the volume and projection. They're better for symphonic band and orchestra playing. Too much of an opening can cause problems with intonation, especially in the altissimo range, and the saxophone might be a little harder to handle. Berg is a good mouthpiece though I'm not too familiar with the different models, and the SMS The Otto Link's are good. I use mostly Link and Meyer pieces. The Jody Jazz pieces are very nice, but a little pricey. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by Paduano
    (16 posts)

19 years ago

I just purchased a Berg Larsen alto mouthpiece that is a 100/0M. Any comments on it? Before buying this, I was playing a Meyer 5 and a Selmer C*.

Reply To Post

3. by Candyboy
    (77 posts)

19 years ago

I am a berg larsen fan. I own three berg tenor pieces,so this is kind of my thing. The SMS is a shorter steeper facing and is a little harder to play than the M facing. I like the M. I normally use a 110-1-M piece when I'm out on a gig, but I'm careful never to use a new reed for 2 reasons first it will blister my lower lip quick. second it might squeal at some high note just at the worst time. I would go for a 90-1-M if I were you. The first number is the tip opening in thousanths of an inch, the second is the brightness, 0 is the brightest and 3 is the darkest. if you are going to play one for hours, break the reed in over at least 3 hour long practice sessions and use a lot of chapstick. I use a small piece of an athletic mouthguard over my lower front teeth.
    Doug Coffman

Reply To Post AIM

1. by mrd
      (137 posts)

19 years ago

Thank you for the reply and information. I noticed that playing a long time, it is the inside of my lower lip that gets sore. Not right below the lower teeth, but in a little. I think that is just the name of the game, unless you have some other suggestions.

Reply To Post

1. by Candyboy
        (77 posts)

19 years ago

This is what I do . I buy and athletic mouthguard that can be fit to your teeth by dipping in hot water. I take the new guard and cut a piece off that is about an inch and a half long and about half an inch wide. Boil a cup of water in the microwave, let it stand for 30 seconds, drop in the piece I cut off for 10 seconds then spoon it out and put it over my lower front teeth and suck on it real quick so that it forms to my teeth. Using this while playing will keep your lower lip from bleeding though it does take some getting use to.
        Doug Coffman

Reply To Post AIM

1. by flewb17
          (1 post)

19 years ago

Proper embouchure ?

I am 80 years young and wish to play the Sax again. Unfortunately , I have no front teeth , upper or lower . Is there a suggestion as how to create the necessary embouchure. In my younger days , I played in military Bands!

Reply To Post

2. by FredCDobbs
          (77 posts)

19 years ago

Candyboy: I've been under the impression that if my embouchre is correct, and still fresh, I should not be biting into my lower lip so much as mrd complains of. To that end, I've started reworking my embouchre to strengthen mouth and cheek muscles, so that I don't have to bite so soon into playing and get that sore indentation across the inside lower lip. My tone also improves when I stiffen and stretch my lower lip and keep it just a hair over the edge of my lower teeth. This is a very arduous process, but am I at least on the right track, or should I buy the mouth guard?

Reply To Post

3. by Candyboy
          (77 posts)

19 years ago

I don't know how you play, but when I go out to play, which is almost every Saturday night for money and every Wednesday evening for practice and sometimes on Sunday afternoons, I am standing almost constantly for four hours with a horn strapped around my neck. I do my best to blow the pads of the thing. So I have to use something over my lower teeth. It would not be physically possible for me to play the way I do without putting pressure on my lower lip with my teeth
          Doug Coffman

Reply To Post AIM

4. by FredCDobbs
          (77 posts)

19 years ago

Candyboy: Thanks, I think I understand. Hope you don't mind one more nit picking type question: Do you use your teeth immediately, or do they become critical only after some time into the gig?

Reply To Post

5. by Candyboy
          (77 posts)

19 years ago

I want to say first of all that the style of music that I play is from the perspective of a soloist. I play lead a solo when I am not playing a riff that needs repeated in a tune. If you listen to Ace Cannon on " Blues sax for the millenium" that's the style that I play. Yes I use my teeth under my lower lip on everything, but I have to pace myself or I'll get worn out before the last set. Needless to say my lungs are in great shape.
          Doug Coffman

Reply To Post AIM

6. by FredCDobbs
          (77 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for the info, Candyboy.

Reply To Post

7. by mrd
          (137 posts)

19 years ago

TRIED Berg Larsen Tenor MPCs/REPORT

Hey guys, just an update. I found that my local store had several Bergs to try to my surprise. So, I went down yesterday and was able to try out: Bergs: 100/2/M/Rubbert 120/2/M/Metal 6/M/Rovner/Rubber 6/M/Myer Here's my thoughts: First, before I went down and from what I have read on all the boards, I thought I would never be able to blow a 120 never having tried one that large. Well, not true. They were no harder than the 6M or the 100. So, the Rovner is BRIGHT, BRIGHT......... No other way to describe it. There are no other tones on it however, so it is paper thin. The Bergs both played well, and I liked the full range of them based upon the "2" baffle. The Rubber played just as well as the metal, and perhaps had a little easier time presenting a complete range of tones. The Myer was full, and with brightness, so it had a good all around tone. So, I then put on my Brilhart Metal. Well, it sounded just as good as all of them. I guess I didn't expect that. After talking to the tech, he said that he felt I should just keep playing on what I have since nothing made any better impression than the one I already used. Maybe this will give some of you the idea that maybe there is no gold at the end of the rainbow, and that we might already have the path to go to.

Reply To Post

8. by Candyboy
          (77 posts)

19 years ago

Re: TRIED Berg Larsen Tenor MPCs/REPORT

Hey whatever works for you is cool. What brillhart piece are you using? I may want to try one just like it.
          Doug Coffman

Reply To Post AIM

9. by mrd
          (137 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks. The model is Designed by Brilhart. I don't think there is much difference between it and the leveraire, but I am not sure. I believe it is made before the levelaire. The 5* opening is .90, and it played just like the 100-120 Bergs. So, I don't understand why these all seem to be similar, but the Brilhart has just the same overall balanced sound. Perhaps not quite as deep as the berg with the M chamber, but full nevertheless.

Reply To Post

10. by Candyboy
          (77 posts)

19 years ago

I just got a mouthpiece that I bought off Ebay. It is metal and looks like and otto link, It says China Star on the mouthpiece and cover. opening is a 6* and it plays brighter than my berg 95-0-M. I have never played on a piece so bright. It cost me $35.00 shipping and all.
          Doug Coffman

Reply To Post AIM

11. by mrd
          (137 posts)

19 years ago

FOUND A GREAT MOUTHPIECE

Candyboy:: Glad you found something you like. After trying the ones at the shop, and reading posts forever, I picked up a Beechler Vintage Metal. WOW!!!! Free Flowing, Easy to blow, Bright but has some depth... Heavy Stainless.. Love it!!! I have found my new fun... Now I know why Gerald Albright, Jay Beckenstein use this, although they are on an Alto, and I am using it on a Tenor... Glad I found it.... I think these have been overlooked even though

Reply To Post

12. by Candyboy
          (77 posts)

19 years ago

Re: FOUND A GREAT MOUTHPIECE

I am very frustrated playing out in the real world. I am ready to quit. I just played for 4 hours for a private party and they paid us extra, but I am really ready to quit this time. I am so tired of playing dance music, that I could puke. I am ready to sell all my horns on Ebay for whatever they bring and just quit. Sorry , but I need a new life.
          Doug Coffman

Reply To Post AIM

13. by blackfrancis
          (396 posts)

19 years ago

Candyboy, Don't quit. This thing comes to us, all of us eventually. My motto is : better to play than not to play. If you need a change, manifest it- think "I want to do this..." and put some positive energy behind it and it will come your way.

Reply To Post

14. by Candyboy
          (77 posts)

19 years ago

I quit my band 2 weeks ago, and I feel like I can breathe again. I'm supposed to show up at a club tomorrow night to set in with a band that I've never played with before. I know the lead guitar player and he's been begging me to play with his band. I think they mainly play Blues. Anyway I would rather be a guest player than a regular for now.
          Doug Coffman

Reply To Post AIM