Saxophone Forum

by sax101
(10 posts)
19 years ago

Ordered a new soprano. Have a couple of questions about it.

I ordered a soprano sax and I must admit im excited about it. I read that this might of not been a good idea concidering im new and soprano is hard to start off with. I have a few questios: Is this a good sax? www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002KX0BY/qid=1118281002/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xglna/103-8635659-0364663?v=glance&n=507846 I play guitar some so ive learned some theory and i figure if i learn a new instrument it'll help me become a better musician. Are there any pointers anyone have on starting the sax or recommend anything (books, accessories, etc).

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxjunkie89
    (393 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Ordered a new soprano. Have a couple of questions about it.

Since my internet is pulling up the wrong page on my browser, I can't tell what sax you're getting. But soprano is a very fun sax to play, especially if you love high notes. It requires a tight embrochure, which ends up in hell if you have braces, which I do, or something else on your teeth. There aren't very many written parts for it, unless you are in a sax ensemble. I just have mine for fun.

Reply To Post

2. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

19 years ago

it prob. will be hard to start with esp. if you use the mouthpiece it comes with. they all pretty much are bad. will you be able to send it back if you don't like it? can you try it at a local music store? or one like it? i recently bought a winston, cheap horn, and tried 2 horns excatly alike and one played better than the other. i also tried 4 different mpc's. before i settled on one and still want a better one which they didn't have at this store. hope this helps, have fun

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
      (393 posts)

19 years ago

you're right, the mpc my soprano came with was a dinky Yamaha Plastic 4C. It gets the job done but it's really bad on the high notes

Reply To Post

1. by kneejerk52
        (397 posts)

19 years ago

actually the high notes on clarinet and soprano which require a much different emboucher are the hardest to produce on any horn much less a poor quality one it will also be hard to achieve proper intonation. try working slowly up the scale to the high note in nice long tones. once you reach the notes and are able to keep them you will be able to reconize the right pressure on the reed.

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

19 years ago

i can hit and hold high notes out of the blue, even though my accursed braces get in the way, but the high notes still don't sound good at all. If you listen to some recordings of the soprano playing high notes ( www.nuclearwhales.com/sangoma.html ) the high soprano part near the end, or it could be sopranino, sounds incredibly good, then again, they are professionals

Reply To Post

2. by kneejerk52
          (397 posts)

19 years ago

im not sure if it was a soprano but i think so. it will just take time to get proper sound top and bottom of any horn. i think you know what you have to do. there is no subsitute for practice. raw talent, natural ability, and a great ear helps but still you need to do it over and over until it's right.

Reply To Post

3. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

19 years ago

are ya gettin any of this sax101?

Reply To Post