Saxophone Forum

by prophet
(2 posts)
19 years ago

Vandoren reeds

Hello everyone. This would be my first time to post a topic on these forums, so I hope I don't sound dumb. I've played on several different brands of reeds, but my personal favorites are Vandoren Classic (blue box) reeds. I've been fine using 3's, but in the last few months or so, they have all seemed very thin, and don't provide the amount of support that I prefer. Sometimes I take a box of 3 1/2's and try to shave them down with a reed knife, and every once in a while, I get a pretty good reed doing this. If I don't shave down a 3 1/2, my sound is very fuzzy and crappy in short. I still haven't found that sound that I know I am capable of using 3 1/2's because my best tone comes out when I get a great 3. My question is- Is it possible that my mouth has changed after 5 or so years of using 3's? Could it be that I am just getting thinner reeds and am on a streak of bad luck? Should I switch to 3 1/2's, or is there anything I can do to make these 3's give me more support, without pushing the reed up on the mouthpiece, obviously. Thanks for your time.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by The_§ax
    (147 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Vandoren reeds

I would say that your Embouchure has gotten stronger. Try playing 3 1/2 all the time when you practice ( hopefully Every Day! ). after a week or two of continuous playing your embouchure should have adjusted to playing on the 3 1/2 and then they will play nicely for you!

Reply To Post

2. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

19 years ago

i did the same thing. i started on a 2 1/2, then upped to a 3, 3 1/2 and i even made it to a 4 for a while. then i chickened out and went back to a 3 1/2. over time your embochure changes and eventually you will probably settle on one.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

My advice is; when your embochure is developed enough that you can play a 3 1/2 or 4 reed, try a mouthpiece with a more open tip and drop back to a 2 1/2 -3 reed.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by afterglows_fanson
        (18 posts)

19 years ago

Vandoren reeds are great when you get a good one... which is like 3 or 4 out of 10 i'm noticing. Any other reed recommendations?

Reply To Post

1. by Sonny_Rollins
          (18 posts)

19 years ago

You shouldn't even be posting on forums period. In fact, no one likes you and you will most likely die alone - probably in a ditch.

Reply To Post

2. by The_§ax
          (147 posts)

19 years ago

That was uncalled for you twat

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Well Sax, I can make a few assumptions about our friend Sonny here based on a few of his posts. I will be happy to share them. 1. He hasn't reached puberty yet. He's also very immature. 2. He has no girlfriend and very few friends. Most of the people he refers to as friends don't consider him a friend. They only tolerate him to be nice. 3. He plays a saxophone that is barely playable; either a newer Chinese model or an older horn that has been beat to hell. He's jealous of those people who have better instruments. 4. He's in last chair in the worst band. Most likely because he doesn't follow directions, has a poor attitude and doesn't listen to his director. 5. His older sister beats the crap out of him daily. 6. His parents have lost all hope that he will ever amount to something in life. Maybe they let him know that all too often. Hopefully he can change that around. 7. He has low seld esteem. That's why he finds it necessary to post such comments. Maybe he's overweight, has acne or carrot red hair and freckles, wears glasses, braces, or maybe he's just plain ugly! 8.His dog likes to piss in his room 9.He spends most of his time after school at home, grounded for poor grades and fighting with his sister (even though she beats the crap out of him!) 10. Even the nerds and band geeks pick on him in school! cheers.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by The_§ax
          (147 posts)

19 years ago

Well, Well, Well. Very intersting facts there Jim, he he he, This guy needs to get a life. Any way, no need to have these idiots spoil our forums!

Reply To Post

5. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

One thing life has taught me is that there is no escaping the idiots! They're everywhere; every village has at least one! They often act out in a public place or forum seeking attention. Just smile and wave. No sense trying to have an intelligent, meaningful conversation with someone who likely pissed his pants until the 6th grade!

Reply To Post Yahoo!