Saxophone Forum

by duoheer
(15 posts)
19 years ago

i cant decide

hey guys, i play the alto, and i cant decide whether i should get a metal or rubber mouthpiece. im thinking going into smooth jazz or jazz. THX

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxjunkie89
    (393 posts)

19 years ago

Re: i cant decide

Meyer Hard Rubber Mouthpiece. WORKS GREAT

Reply To Post

2. by EdTheGreat
    (11 posts)

19 years ago

yeah I would really recommend the meyer rubber with a soft reed it will give you an extremely good sound. I had a metal Otto Link but my director told me to buy the meyer I thought it wouldn't be as good but the mouthpiece turned out to be really awesome

Reply To Post

3. by Bleeding_Gums_Murphy
    (55 posts)

19 years ago

Rubber definitely. Most metal mouthpieces today made for alto are really not so great and are much too bright.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Try an Otto Link Super Tone Edge. They're less than $70 most places, and they're a great hard rubber piece for alto. I've tried several pieces for alto, and this piece works the best of any I have tried.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Cannon
        (23 posts)

19 years ago

Hey jim. What do you think about JodyJazz pieces? I'm going to be lead alto next year and want something that will cut a little more and more projection. I have a Meyer 6M at the moment. Definitely a rubber mouthpiece by the way duoheer. Metal doesn't translate well for alto.

Reply To Post

1. by blackfrancis
          (396 posts)

19 years ago

I agree with all the above, hard rubber to be sure. Hi to Cannon, and I got a Jody Jazz HR* for my tenor. If the alto piece is anything like this one, it's rippin' good stuff.

Reply To Post

2. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

Plus most metal pieces require quite a bit of 'chops' to handle anyway.

Reply To Post

3. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

19 years ago

I've seen a few players use metal and just burn the house down. In fact (sometime) I want to get a metal piece for my alto... BUT a person should have a few good hard/rubber pieces first.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

4. by YanagisawA-901
          (312 posts)

19 years ago

i have a selmer E soloist for jazz and i like it.. its in your face and creates a jazzy tone.. but its still subdued and not outta control. i dont like otto links.. i find them to be stuffy.. and ive played it on a well broken in and thin to begin with 3 reed.. they sound very airy and stuffy to me.. meyers are good pieces and project well.. i dont know why you would wanna switch up.. if ur not gettn the projection u are lookn for, play around with ligature and reed combos.. when i played a 6m in the store that thing wailed.. ive heard lakeys play out a lot.. i tried a 7*3 and hated it.. it was way too wide open..

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

5. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

19 years ago

how can a good link sound stuffy?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

6. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Out of about 25 alto pieces that I own, these are my favorites. Otto Link Tone Edge, Hard Rubber 6* Conn Steelay vintage 1950's Rico Royal Graftonite B5 Brilhart Tonalin vintage early 1960's Otto Link Super Tone Master 6* (newer model) The Tone Edge has a really nice full sound; bright but not too bright; similar to the Steelay piece. The Brilhart Tonalin is a smoother more mellow sound; great for ballads and big band use. It's also good for blues and a nice Charlie Parker sound on my 6M. The Rico Royal graftonite has a throaty, punchy sound that's great for rock and blues also. I especially like these Rico's for tenor. When I really want the sax to just scream, I use the Super Tone Master metal. That's not a piece I use very often though. My fiancee has an alto voice, and listening to her scream at me is enough! .

Reply To Post Yahoo!

7. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

Ah Jim, so it's no longer 'girlfriend' huh? Congrats! So that's your only metal piece? So I guess metal isn't omnipotent! I too like the Graftonite...don't know if it'd be my first choice, but out of the two that I've played on can't say I didn't like them!

Reply To Post

8. by Bleeding_Gums_Murphy
          (55 posts)

19 years ago

Jim, I might be looking into getting a piece for alto with a more mellow, bluesy tone, and the vintage Brilharts came up. Which model/period do you have, and which one (Great Neck, Personaline, Streamline, etc.) do you think would best produce that kind of sound on a Super 20? What ligature do you use with the Brilhart? Tip opening? Thanks a lot.

Reply To Post