Saxophone Forum

by Seth442
(9 posts)
19 years ago

Best saxophonists and their best recordings

I play mainly jazz alto saxophone, but I go to Eastman School of Music so I study classically there as well. I need to learn to create an acceptable classical tone on the alto saxophone. To do this I first need to develope a concept of what a classical tone sounds like. Could someone please help me out by listing some of the best classical alto saxophone players and their best recordings? The pieces they play on the recording are not as important to me as the quality of their playing and tone. However, the only repetoire that I have played so far is the Creston Sonata, so if there is an exceptionally good recording of this please recommend it. Thank you. Feel free to list players that play other saxophones too, but I am mostly interested in alto.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by phathorn
    (165 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Best saxophonists and their best recordings

Sinta put out a very good recording of the Creston that Eastman should have in their library....it was recorded approx fourty years ago with a pianist named natalie true.

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

I tried emailing you a recording of me playing a classical saxophone piece. If it doesn't get through, shoot me an email to an account that can handle a 4+ Mb mp3.

Reply To Post

3. by Seth442
    (9 posts)

19 years ago

sax maniac - I got your email. Thanks! I'm thinking about getting "Marcel Mule: "Le Patron" of the Saxophone." From the samples on amazon.com his tone sounds great, although I don't really like how he constantly uses vibrato. I'll check out the Sinta recording when I get back to Eastman, but right now I'm on summer break and I need to decide on a few cds so I can work on my tone over the summer. Does anyone know any more good recordings I can buy on amazon.com or something? Looking for alto saxophone. Also maybe someone who doesn't use quite so much vibrato as Marcel Mule, because I don't intend to use so much myself.

Reply To Post

4. by Quartertone
    (7 posts)

19 years ago

Check out some of John Edward Kelly's more recent recordings, such as John Edward Kelly "Alone" and Contemporary Music for saxophone Volume 2, with Bob Versteegh on piano. Exquisite playing coupled with a wonderfully pure, rich sound. His earlier stuff is good also, its just that the recording engineering makes it sound like he is in a living room, far away and dry; its hard to get an accurate perception of the depth that is inherent in his sound. I believe you could find these on Amazon or at Classicsax.com. In the same vein, you might try Harry White. Wonderful alto player and one the most expressive players I've experienced.

Reply To Post

1. by Bibimbop
      (53 posts)

19 years ago

Here are my favorite Creston recordings (artist-album): Griffen Campbell- Tableaux Otis Murphy- Memories of Dinant Arno Bornkamp- Saxophone Sonatas Nobuya Sugawa- Fuzzy Bird Each of them have their own great qualities, but I enjoy that they all have very different sound concepts, but there accuracy and musical integrity are all great! Not to mention, all of these albums are in my opinion "must haves" for the classical saxophonist. Good repertoire played very well.

Reply To Post

2. by Bibimbop
      (53 posts)

19 years ago

Here are my favorite Creston recordings (artist-album): Griffen Campbell- Tableaux Otis Murphy- Memories of Dinant Arno Bornkamp- Saxophone Sonatas Nobuya Sugawa- Fuzzy Bird Each of them have their own great qualities, but I enjoy that they all have very different sound concepts, but there accuracy and musical integrity are all great! Not to mention, all of these albums are in my opinion "must haves" for the classical saxophonist. Good repertoire played very well.

Reply To Post

1. by selmer 4evr
        (309 posts)

19 years ago

Visit claude delangle website and listen to some of the excepts in discogarphy section www.sax-delangle.com

Reply To Post