Saxophone Forum

by sugarfix
(4 posts)
19 years ago

Selmer 1954

Hi, I have bought a selmer tenor from 1954, in france. it is original silverplate and has no engraving. I would love to have the old-style engraving on the horn. Anyone knows where you can do that. or is it not a good idea?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Selmer 1954

Look up Jason Dumars on Google. He is a respected engraver if you really feel you'd like to do that. HOWEVER! Even with high quality work like Jason's - on a collectable horn like a '54 Selmer, you sort of "violate" the authenticity of the horn when you engrave it and that could adversely affect it's value if you were ever to consider resale. It's just that '54 Selmer tenors aren't a dime a dozen, so you want to approach this decision very carefully. If it's the horn you've always dreamed of and will never part with, then by all means go for it if you want - have Jason put scrollwork or naked ladies or clowns holding balloons or whatever you want on it. Congratulations, and good luck...

Reply To Post

1. by sugarfix
      (4 posts)

19 years ago

Hi, Well i did not "bought"the horn, it was in my family since 1954. I will never sell this horn ever in my life,so the value is not a problem. But naked ladies...I have found a site, artistic engravings, and the pictures I see there look even better than the jason dumars. (I checked his site). A second problem: What is the design they used back in 54? This is a french horn, and there are differences. Do you know wich design?

Reply To Post

1. by mega band geek
        (60 posts)

19 years ago

Go to this link and look through the engraving designs to find the 54 MK VI designs. www.musical-instrument-repair-shop.com/saxophonehandengraving.htm

Reply To Post AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

My 1954 Selmer Mark VI has the "a" engraving that is on this website; the more elaborate of the engravings, but my horn was bought here in the US. The previous owner bought it brand new at a music store in Saginaw, MI. They may have been different. I don't know

Reply To Post Yahoo!