Saxophone Forum

by hasjazzer
(3 posts)
21 years ago

new guy on the forum

Hi, saxquesters. My name is Jan Hasman, in Palm Springs CA for the past twenty years. I play a 60's vintage King Super Twenty tenor I finally had overhauled in January, (still use old metal Berg 105/2 ). I'm fortunate to be working 2-3 nights a week with a light jazz trio in downtown Palm Springs ( also vocals) and I do 3 nights solo piano/vocal at a great restaurant in La Quinta, CA. This site looks like fun, even on my tired and slow computer. Plus I'm hoping to load up on sax info and get some tips on repair and tweaking the King. The nearest full time technicians are in L.A., and it's four hours drive time there and back if you can avoid the traffic. My favorite players are way too many to name; different styles and eras and genres- but lately listening to Joshua Redman's "elasticity" and "yaya3" Will visit here 2-3 times each week to see what's going on.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by str8aero
    (1 post)

21 years ago

Re: new guy on the forum

Hey Jan, NOt much action sometimes here, but once in a while someone responds. Sounds like a fine time in the hot lands there. I am in Chattanooga, and have found this site and cybersax.com to be really loaded with information. So, tune your old computer to cybersax.com and start reading. There is a gold mine there. BTW, I am 53 and a one year sax student, playing a Selmer 1244 student horn. I work full time as engineer and pilot, but love to learn to play. Looks like I am moving to California in a bit, either Oroville or Jackson. I lived in LA for five years once. Wild. Desert is better. Enjoy your gigs, I am looking to upgrade my horn to either a B400 Top Hat and Cane, or a Yamaha YTS 875. We'll see. Talk to you later. Larry PEterson Chattanooga, TN for awhile longer.

Reply To Post

1. by hasjazzer
      (3 posts)

21 years ago

Thanks for the post, Larry. The desert is a great place to live, and there are a whole lot of incredibly talented musicians in the area... too bad there's not enough work to keep all of us busy playing. Hope you enjoy your move to CA , and I wish you well with your sax progress and enjoyment. Cheers, Jan

Reply To Post

2. by Karen
    (1 post)

21 years ago

HI JAN, I JUST MOVED INTO THE PALM SPRINGS AREA. WOULD LUV TO HEAR YOU PLAY AT ONE OF YOUR GIGS. I AM ALSO TRYING TO FIND OTHER MUSICIANS IN THE AREA THAT WOULD BE INTERESTED IN JAMMING. PLEASE E-MAIL ME- [email protected]

Reply To Post

3. by swingstreet
    (315 posts)

21 years ago

Hi Jan. I live in New York and am fortunate in being able to hear so many great players. I'm also fortunate that some of these great players are literally neighbors. I also tend bar in a NYC jazz club and get to hear great music regularly. It's not like work at all, and I earn money doing it. I play a 1954 "The Martin" alto sax, like the one Art Pepper played, and it's a great horn. I have studied here in New York with Lee Konitz and Tim Price. Not doing any gigs right now, as my band broke up last summer, and haven't started or gotten into another one. However, I keep up by showing up at jazz and blues jams around the city. I know some great repairmen here in New York, including Dr. Rick and Roberto of Roberto's woodwinds. Too bad you're that far away. The King Super 20 is one great horn. Great sound and looks too. I have played with several players who have them, and they love them. The only thing, according to them, is that the horn seems to need fairly constant adjustments. Still, it's one of the great horns. Welcome to the forum, and best of luck in all of your musical endeavors. Music is the best!

Reply To Post

1. by hasjazzer
      (3 posts)

21 years ago

Hey, Swing, thanks for the note. It's fun to get a surprise reply from a kindred spirit. Yeah, the King has a cantankerous disposition... I've taken it in five times since the overhaul. Last week took it for the first time to Bob Scarff in Ontario, CA. We spent about hour and a half at his bench, and I'm really pleased with the work. He's worked on horns of the heavyweights for many years, and it was a joy to watch his mind and his hands do what they do. Hope all is well in your world. Namaste

Reply To Post

4. by DecaturBill
    (2 posts)

21 years ago

Count me in as a newcomer on the board! Just returned to tenor after many years off. I'm a thirty-year man on flute and loving the chance to play a different horn that seems to complement flute so well. Renting now but looking to buy after the New Year. Any tips will be studied with great care!

Reply To Post