Saxophone Forum

by mega band geek
(60 posts)
19 years ago

Marching Muscles

I'll be marching Bass Sax next year and want to increase my arm strength so I can handle it more easily. What muscles would be the best to work on "Buffing Up" for marching? Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Marching Muscles

All of them. Start with your core lifts, the bench, squat, deadlift, and add in other to work the rest of you. lift weights 3 times a week, and run everyday. When that special time of year gets here, you will be ready

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by mega band geek
      (60 posts)

19 years ago

Would it be alright to substitute bike riding for running? (I've already been bike riding 2+ hours a day).

Reply To Post AIM

1. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

19 years ago

no, it's not alright! seriously. I've biked around now for hours on end (well maybe not that hard of a ride) but I can't run worth crap. Running WILL get your whole body in shape, biking won't unless you do crazy training rides in hills and crap.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

I beg to differ, cycling is my other hobby, and it is a TOTAL body workout if you are riding properly

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by GzsKerqt
          (77 posts)

19 years ago

But running only builds up ur leg muscles and stamina. Y don't u juz concentrate on push ups or pull ups first?(since its arm muscles u want)

Reply To Post

3. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

Its all muscles you want not just a single group and running/riding is not goin to build up any group an appreciable amount. But doing either actvity is a full body workout if you are doing it properly, and builds endurance and stamina in the muscles. You build up the muscles with a well set up lifting routine, balanced with days of cardio activity

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by Sonny_Rollins
        (18 posts)

19 years ago

Dude............if you really want to run and weight lift and everything, you should just play football or another fall sport. If you were to "get totally buff", then it would make it hard for the other band geek guys to hit on the band geek girls since they will be watching you marching around at band camp with no shirt on all sweaty and stuff.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

good point sonny.

Reply To Post Yahoo!