Saxophone Forum

by mattdude
(74 posts)
19 years ago

question about Yamaha custom 82z unlaquered (tenor)

well i guess my question is... what do you guys think of this horn? went down our local music mart and they have one for 1700 dollars. that's a good price i assume, yes? this thing sounded incredible. the altissimo was entirely effortless, the tone was beautiful.. i also tried it with an otto link 7 metal, which sounded good even with my step up, but my stepup's altissimo is just not that great (prestinni, black nickel). i also tried the otto link 6 which sounded extremely stuffy on either horn. might the otto link 8 be even better than the 7? the action on the yamaha was extremely quick and shallow. basically.. what are your thoughts on these things? i only tried them with v16 3.5's, but i just bought some v16 3's which sound a bit better on my current horn than the 3.5's thanks for any comments and/or suggestions.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by k7michal
    (34 posts)

19 years ago

Re: question about Yamaha custom 82z unlaquered (tenor)

I just tried the YTS 82ZS with a NY 8* otto link and medium La Vos reed. I was looking to up grade from YTS 275. suprisingly I liked the 82ZS more than the Super Action 80 or the King Super 20. The 82ZS seemed to have that openness that I liked in the 275, and the responce was nice and quick. the tone was a bit better than the 275 and still maintained that open bottom end. and yes, the price is great for that horn. my version was $3895 CND.

Reply To Post

1. by mattdude
      (74 posts)

19 years ago

yeah.. list price on the tag said 4280 usd but they're on clearence for 1699. i nearly shat my pants... problem is with buying it is that it's a hefty investment... i'm going into my senior year in high school, i'm not majoring in music (much to my parents' dismay) and i don't know if i want to spend 1700 dollars for one year in high school. of course.. if it turns out i'm not playing at all after highschool, i can always sell it.. and if it's in really good condition, i can probably get it for more than i bought it for, seeing as how i'd be buying it for so low... iunno.. my decision is SERIOUSLY leaning towards buying it...

Reply To Post

1. by syrasax
        (75 posts)

19 years ago

mattdude- I'd be a little skeptical of that "clearance" explanation. I'm not claiming to be a Yamaha expert but I've been looking at upgrading myself and researched these horns and "clearance" implies that it will be discontinued, they don't sell well or something to that effect. Look at wwbw.com and these horns sell for 2600+. Not saying you shouldn't go for a great deal but I guess I'd wonder whether that horn was b stock, used etc.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

19 years ago

ask them if you can have someone look over it! But by all means GET THE THING! who cares if you're not majoring in music, it's nice to have a good horn laying around for a lifetime hobby. as as for $1700 being a lot. Let's look at it this way. (from my experences) -I bought a $1300 kayak about 4-5 years ago... it's at my aunt and uncles house - I never really use it. -I'm "investing" all of $2200-3000 into metalworking equipment for my new hobby. andrewthomasdesigns.com -I have at least $2000 in dj equipment (tables, mixer, effects, speakers) that I don't use, and my big speakers never get turned loud. -I have at least a few grand in new records laying around that I don't play much. my point to all of this... when you get a little older and have money to throw around on hobbies $2000 really isn't that much. There are also people your age who like to work on cars, have huge car payments, some are into hunting or fishing... even at your age that isn't unreasonable to think about as a hobbie.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by mattdude
          (74 posts)

19 years ago

i'm not sure what you mean.. this thing was DEFINITELY spankin new. it's unlaquered, and there wasn't a single finger print anywhere. granted they make you wear gloves, but still... the case was EXTREMELY solid, everything was definitely new. the reason they were on clearence, the guy told me.. is that they don't sell well because of ignorant people. they look at the unlaquered finish and think it looks old and used and is a peice of crap, so they take the new and shiney one that's sometimes the actual peice of shit, where as the unlaquered was a better horn... iunno.. all i know is that the horn sounded amazing. everything was effortless... double octave jumps as fast as my fingers could move with out any problem at all (16th notes at about 80-90bpm). the altissimo was so clear and effortless. and then couple that with the otto link, it just sounded incredible. i've all but decided i'm gonna do it. gonna go next weekend again when they have an otto link 8 in (they only had a 6 and 7) and buy the best mouth peice definitely, and hopefully walk away with a new horn... i'm actually extremely excited :D

Reply To Post

3. by k7michal
          (34 posts)

19 years ago

congratulations, I hope it works out for you..... the moment I tried that otto link 8* I just laughed, and said "it's mine". when it makes you feel that good, money shouldn't be an issue. I started playing again because I started loving the sound of a good sax. And good horns don't depreciate, unless you really run them down. They might even get more expensive based on a few things.

Reply To Post

4. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

19 years ago

sweet! let us know how you like it! also, check for past threads on here about links... it seems the new ones are hit and miss. So if it dosn't work either try another one or send it in for work. I have a vintage 8* and it just sounds great! I hope things work out.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM