Saxophone Forum

by istan
(15 posts)
19 years ago

question about brilhart(?) Tonalin mouthpiece

Some time ago I ordered a white rubber "brilhart tonalin" tenor mouthpiece and received a white rubber mpc on which is written: "great neck original" on top and 8* on the side. It is strong but plays sharp and is not at all "warm" as I hoped it would be. Is anyone familiar with these mouthpieces? Are they the same as the old white rubber mpcs we see in numerous photographs of pre war masters? Are they original or contemporary made "like the old ones"? I would appreciate any info since I payed a considerable amount of money for what I think I finally got!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by blackfrancis
    (396 posts)

19 years ago

Re: question about brilhart(?) Tonalin mouthpiece

Check out www.mouthpieceheaven.com , look under resources and go where it says vintage mouthpieces. You'll find lots of info on Brilhart along with pictures. For the tone and sharpness, play around with some different reeds. Maybe that will make a difference. I think 8* is fairly open. Should be a great piece.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The old Tonalins were awesome mouthpieces. Unfortunately after Selmer bought Brilhart, they started making the chamber sizes smaller, and the newer Tonalin pieces are chambered too small for many of the vintage horns like my Conn 10M. I was very disappointed. I used to have one of those old Tonalins and I chipped it.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

19 years ago

If you want a piece that plays like the tonalins and wanna save some money, get an ebolin, they are the same piece, just a different dye was used in the mix. (if they had used no dye the pieces would be clear, most brilhart pieces used and new are plastic, very few are hard rubber

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM