Saxophone Forum

by rapsa42100
(3 posts)
1 week ago

Lyon Healy identification

We have acquired a Lyon Healy American Professional Low Pitch Saxophone with the serial number 38372.  And that's all we know!!!! Can anybody help us find out how old it is, who the maker was and any other information that may be usefull? We are taking it for service as my son has asked to take lessons and being in Greece, i doubt the tech would know much about it....
Thank you.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mijderf
    (72 posts)

1 week ago

Re: Lyon Healy identification

I found an old post from about 10 years ago on this forum.  Here is what it says about the Lyon and Healy saxophones:  (I guess if with your serial number being 38XXX, it was made shortly before the change over in serial numbers, so maybe a year or two prior to 1928 would be my guess.

Early ones were made by Buescher. By the mid 20s they were labeled "Courturier model" and were made bu Courturier of (Laporte?) IN which L&H bought in 1928. The ones after the purchase had serial numbers over 200,000.

Reply To Post

1. by rapsa42100
      (3 posts)

7 days ago

Thank you very much for the help, i had arrived to the same conclusion myself after reading several articles.  However, i stumbled upon a discussion comparing Martin-made to Buescher-made where the issue was stencils, given that L&H sold horns by both makers at that time.   Would you happen to have any relevant info?

Reply To Post

1. by mijderf
        (72 posts)

3 days ago

Sorry, my earlier post was all the information I have.  Maybe another member with more knowledge about Lyon Healy will jump in.

Reply To Post

1. by mijderf
          (72 posts)

2 days ago

This might help.  SOTW has an entire forum on Lyon and Healy.
          https://forum.saxontheweb.net/forumdisplay.php?384-Couturier-Lyon-amp-Healy

Reply To Post