Saxophone Forum

by mojocoggo
(97 posts)
19 years ago

Ligatures for Hard Rubber Mouthpiece

What are some good ligatures for a hard rubber alto mouthpiece? Will a metal ligature scratch up the mouthpiece?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sonny_Rollins
    (18 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Ligatures for Hard Rubber Mouthpiece

For my hard rubber mouthpiece (Meyer 6M) I use a Vandoren Optimum series. The unique design of the ligature DOES NOT scratch the mouthpiece at all.

Reply To Post

1. by spifster
      (67 posts)

19 years ago

My Oleg doesnt scratch mine. Unless you try to take it off while its fully tightened it probably shouldn't ever. And some advice about ligs: try ebay first. The oleg retails for 89 something and i got it for 23. Ebay rules.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Olegs are very good; although more expensive than a few other also really good ligs. I own several Rovners and I really like them. You can get a basic Rovner (Dark, Light, Mark III) for around $25. The Evo and Eddie Daniels models are a little more; probably around $59. Here, check out their website. www.rovnerproducts.com/ligatures.htm

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by saxophonist17
          (7 posts)

19 years ago

try a francois louis ultimate ligature

Reply To Post AIM

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I broke the lig that came with my Meyer metal, so I just took duct tape and ripped it about an inch wide and wrapped it around the piece until it felt secure......and played the rest of the night with it! Sounded pretty darn good too! I think I'm going to order another Eddie Daniels for it though. Francois Louis Ultimates are great ligs but I think they're even more than the Olegs. That's just too much money for a lig, I think.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by llehctiMnairB
          (18 posts)

19 years ago

I think the ultimates are worth the money. They give you such an open sound for jazz.

Reply To Post AIM