Saxophone Forum

by ljhefferon
(4 posts)
7 years ago

Buescher Aristocrat 140 Series lll Post Big B Saxophone

Hi,
Im look to find out what the value of my Fathers Saxophone is..
It is a Buescher Aristocrat 140 Series lll Post Big B Saxophone. It is in pristine condition and was referred to as a closeted saxophone. It is completely original, the lacquer pristine condition. It is in the original case which is also in pristine condition, it has the original tag with the model # and Serial # on it. My Father passed away in 2001, but I don't think he had played in in 40 years.. My Grandfather was a well known Saxophone player in the big band era, but he just recently passed away at 98 years old, so I don't have anyone to ask about this.. if anyone had any advice for me I would appreciate it so very much. Thank you in advance for any help anyone might have, as I am interested in selling this.. 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mijderf
    (282 posts)

7 years ago

Re: Buescher Aristocrat 140 Series lll Post Big B Saxophone

I cannot tell of the lacquer is original from the photos.  This will have a large impact on price, and you should find out if this is the case prior to trying to sell.  

Here is an Ebay auction that you can follow.  This is a worn, but original lacquer version of your horn.  If yours is original lacquer, you should be able to get about $300 - $500 more for your horn if you sell directly to another player.  You will only get about 1/2 of that if you sell it to a retail establishment.  If on the other hand, the horn has been relacquered, then you may only be able to get $100 or so more that the referenced auction.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buescher-Aristocrat-Series-III-Alto-Model-140-/222637783610?hash=item33d63efa3a:g:cG0AAOSwRwhZsWHG

Recognize that with 40+ year old pads, your horn will need a pad replacement in the near term, and that would run a buyer about $500.  That is one of the reasons the older vintage horns sell for what they do.  Unless you know someone who will give you a real bargain on a repad, I would leave it as is, since I would not want to risk marring the finish before selling.

Here is another auction that may be closer to your horn, but you will have to wait quite a while to see what it sells for:  
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1950-51-Buescher-Aristocrat-Alto-Sax-Model-140-True-Tone-/222659011739?hash=item33d782e49b:g:a84AAOSwSnFZpJhh

Good luck with the sale. 

Reply To Post

1. by ljhefferon
      (4 posts)

7 years ago

Thank you so much for your help! I'm 100% sure it has not been relacquered and is completely all original.. thanks again for your help!! 

Reply To Post

1. by mijderf
        (282 posts)

7 years ago

Get a magnifying glass and look at the engraving.  If you see bare metal at the bottom of the engraving, it is original lacquer.  If you see lacquer over the steel in the engraved area, it has been relacquered.

Reply To Post