Saxophone Forum

by throcker
(2 posts)
7 years ago

Adolphe Sax 1865

Hi,

I have an original Adolphe Saxophone serial# 27360 from 1865-66 which was given to me by my brother (John Tabeling) who is a Tubist.  The Sax is in fair to poor condition with original case.  Please give me some ideas on where to go from here.  Photos are available on request. I am interested in possibly selling it and would love to get an idea of its value.  I play the Accordian which was almost mandatory growing up in Cincinnati in the 60's. My brother John graduated from the Cincinnati College Conservatory of Music with a Masters.  AT age 63, he can no longer play the Tuba due to Parkinsons.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

7 years ago

Re: Adolphe Sax 1865

Not sure what you're asking? Are you looking to restore it for your collection or are you looking to sell it? or maybe restore and then sell? 

Thanks,
         Mark Overton
         www.saxquest.com 

Reply To Post

2. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

7 years ago

Re: Adolphe Sax 1865

These are very collectable. Those that deal in vintage instruments love these.

It would have little value as a horn to play, but is very collectable to us crazy saxophone historians. I myself love to restore such horns. I do work for a few of the Cincy Jazz players here in town. It is more a 20 year hobby for me than a job. I am a banker during the day. I work for that millionaqire that owns the James Bond Aston Martin from Goldfinger. The Parkinsons monster is a real pain. My mother passed in 2000 after a long battle with Parkinson's.

I live in northern Cincinnati BTW.

I myself would leave it alone, sell it as is, and let the collector use his own guy to refurbish it.

There is a trading post here on this site to list it.

Check out this post for an upper end retail

http://www.pmwoodwind.com/instruments.cfm?c=1&instrumentid=1997

Good Luck

Reply To Post