Saxophone Forum

by rob07
(38 posts)
19 years ago

modern sax

I know that the vintage horns are some of the best, but what would you say is the best modern horn for jazz and big band.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sonny_Rollins
    (18 posts)

19 years ago

Re: modern sax

Reference 54 Tenor by Selmer. It's modeled after the Mark IV's. Nice horn. NIIICCCCCEEEEE!!!!!!!!

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Keilwerth SX-90R. The quality and craftsmenship is the best on the market. They combine many of the vintage attributes with modern advantages. They have a very warm, vintage tone. They are very ergonomically designed and comfortable to play. They are made from the finest materials available; heavy brass, blue steel springs, durable waterproof pads, etc. The craftsmenship and quality of the German horns is outstanding; much better than those horns made in Taiwan, and even the French Selmer. The SX-90R Shadows are some of the most beautiful horns on the market today. Try one! Just be prepared to buy it!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by vzkgszhz
        (5 posts)

19 years ago

I know this is somewhat deviating from the initial subject, but are vintage horns really such a big deal? Honestly, I just don't know. It seems like that is all you people can rave about whenever I browse the forums. I just find it a little... well, I'm not sure what. I know it makes me feel curious, as I play a Custom Z alto now and, in the past, played a Selmer Series II alto for a time. Am I missing out on something big here? Thanks!

Reply To Post

1. by rob07
          (38 posts)

19 years ago

I felt the same way until I actually played one. By the way, how does that Z play. I trying to get my parents to buy me one. What finish do you have

Reply To Post

2. by peter090
          (155 posts)

19 years ago

The "deal" with vintage horns is that they do not sound like modern horns. Eventually if you stay in music you'll have a chance to play a some well maintained vintage horns and you will see that they are different. Not better but also not worse just different and suited to different things. For many years you could pick up a vintage sax for a quarter of what a new student sax would cost. At that time vintage was a much better value than new. I don't think that is the case as much any more. In my opinion the big drawback to a vintage horns is consistency. I've played a few that sounded great but had horrible intonation problems. If you are or know a very good tech you can work around some of this but it is something to be wary of.

Reply To Post

3. by vzkgszhz
          (5 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for the replies! Rob, I find the Z to play great! In all honesty, though, I am still learning quite a bit about playing the saxophone in general, so it's tough to make any specifc value judgements about the horn. I bought it unlacquered - mostly just because it looks cool. Peter, thanks for the info! I have to admit that even more intonation problems scare me as I have enough trouble with them already, but I will make it a point to play some older horns through some means or another...

Reply To Post