Saxophone Forum

by tee196
(31 posts)
19 years ago

Tenor Sax equipment that will help me get a smooth mellow sound??

HI, sorry to post twice in a row but, i have one more question i would like to ask. I am just starting to play on a worship team at my church and am a little nervous that the tenor sound will be slightly to bright and harsh for some of the songs we play. Is there any way to beable to change my sound from bright to smooth and mellow? Which reeds are best for this mellow sound and any other equipment that would help with this would be much appreciated. Thanx. -Tee196

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Tenor Sax equipment that will help me get a smooth mellow sound??

What horn do you play tee? I'd recommend a Brilhart Eboin mouthpiece with a Rovner ligature and Lavoz Med. reeds. The only problem is that the chamber on the Ebolin is a little small and they don't work so well on some of the older vintage horns. The Ebolin is a great mouthpiece for a modern Selmer though.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by tee196
      (31 posts)

19 years ago

Umm well, at the moment I play a school horn, its a bundy i do believe, however as u can tell my my other post i am despretally looking into buying a new one, or a new used one. You can read my other post for that information. But thank you, and i will remember the LaVos Reads. also um for my other post u will need to know that im not looking for a saxophone that is mellow, i need it to be able to play it for jazz band and for my church so it needs to beable to play both ways. Thank you.

Reply To Post

2. by Lotus54
    (32 posts)

19 years ago

I'm not sure what MP you are using, but you may be able to get there with just a reed and playing style change. I find a nice wet, fairly soft reed played softer can get a good mellow sound. Open your throat well, loosen your jaw, think 'smooth and mellow'. Listen to yourself- play against a wall, record yourself. This would be good for you anyway, learning more sounds you can get without equipment change is always good. Of course, if you have a high baffle MP, it will be harder to get a really mellow sound, it will certainly tend to sound bright. Give it a go anyway...

Reply To Post

1. by tee196
      (31 posts)

19 years ago

I have a Goldentone 3 (which is a terrible mouthpiece anyway-- it screws up my intonation terribly) so i do have to get a new one. Plz reply thanx- Tee196

Reply To Post

1. by Lotus54
        (32 posts)

19 years ago

Look for a MP with a large bore and not too high a baffle. I prefer metal MPs, but some like the hard rubber ones. Try some and find one that works with you. One note, some MPs are fairly narrow, so take time to get used to- but ultimately may work better. mark

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

19 years ago

I'll be synical here, BUT IMO I don't think anyone in your audience would notice or even care if your sound was bright, dull, mellow, or anything. They are going to like it no matter what! For example I was djing some house music one night and for the last record I put in some supertramp. Now, this is TOTALLY different than what I was playing before... but did anyone look up? No, they just kept on talking and drinking! Things would be different if you were playing in a room full of music teachers, jazz professionals, or classical buffs, but I don't think the regular people would notice that much. as for different mouthpieces, try a bunch of them out... who knows maybe those dreaded selmer 80's (or whatever they are) would work great in your situation!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

Gotta commend chiamac on bringing out the Supertramp! As far which mouthpiece, it sounds like you're looking for a piece that can cross over from jazz to legit. Don't worry too much about how your sound is perceived as long as it blends well with the ensemble you are playing in. I've recently gotten some modern Otto Link NY mpcs and I'm falling in love with them very quickly. Links never floated my boat in the past, but I had to try the NY on account of the huge chamber and concave sidewalls - which warms the sound considerably. You could use a 5 or 5* facing as a cross-over piece - using harder reeds for mellower tone. I play my 5* with a Medium Hard Fibracell for more subdued playing. The 6* and 8* come out for other purposes...

Reply To Post